Italy’s X Audio Systems has announced the Beats FM, an experimental all-in-one stereo analog synthesizer, processor and sync unit with FM/AM/SW radio.
They say that the Beats FM “offers a new approach to music and sound creation, that no other instrument can offer.” It’s the equivalent of 8 synth modules, enclosed in a high-quality beech/aluminum case with an antenna.
Production of the Beats FM is being funded via an IndieGoGo project.
Here’s what they have to say about the Beats FM project:
“We want to give everybody the possibility to participate in the creation of this unique machine. We feel that the world needs new options when it come to music production and sound exploration. The spontaneous and versatile nature of the BEATS FM, together with it’s warm analog sound is designed to be a center piece to a number of music studios worldwide.
This is the first ever production run of this unit, and nobody knows if there will be further developments in the future. It all depends on the support that all the backers will bring to this project. Our goal is to produce as many units as possible. Satisfaction of every backers is our main priority. Thanks to you, this project is already a reality! Every backer will receive a one-of-a-kind, hand-assembled, individually numbered, limited edition BEATS FM with power supply, antenna and user’s manual.”
- 1 x stereo wide-band FM/AM/SW radio with LFO modulated tuner knob
- 2 x analog 4-pole low-pass filters (clones of CEM3320, the chip used in the Prophet 5) with self-oscillating resonance and LFO modulation
- 4 seconds of stereo digital delay with time control, feedback, tone, sync and panning with LFO modulation
- 1 x LFO with 16 different “bendable” waveforms with rate, multiplier and polarity
- 1 x Sync unit to lock the LFO to: 1-audio click track, 2-analog clock, 3-tap tempo
- 2 x analog 2-pole high-pass filters
- 1 x effects mixer
- 2 x external audio inputs with overdrive
Pricing and Availability
Beats FM is available to project backers for about $782 USD