VCV Rack has all the potential of creating a die hard fan base and the capabilities are in principal endless. Of course as with all things software you will need to love moving cables and turning knobs on screen to fully enjoy this ever growing beast. VCV Rack Creator Andrew Belt has announced that – after 2 years of development – VCV Rack 2 is now available.
VCV Rack 2 is a major update to the popular virtual Eurorack modular synthesizer. The update delivers more than 100 new features, including the option to use Rack 2 as a plugin within your DAW.
VCV Rack is designed to offer the flexibility of modular synthesis, without the cost of a hardware system. So, the new release – including the standalone version, which remains open-source – has a ton of new features, with a whole bunch of UI improvements.
Here’s what’s new in VCV Rack 2:
- Dark room mode, with adjustable room brightness.
- Module selections to save, share, edit, and move around selections of modules. (New .vcvs selection format.)
- Enhanced module browser to zoom, favorite, and sort your module collection.
- Redesigned UI and built-in modules.
- Port tooltips, context menu, and key commands for faster control of patch cables.
- Optimized real-time engine with multiple audio interface support (if supported by manufacturers’ drivers).
- Add/remove individual modules from the VCV Library to fine-tune your module collection.
VCV Rack 2 Pro also includes a VST plugin, for full integration with your DAW:
- Save patches inside your DAW project.
- Instrument/effect plugin.
- Up to 16 audio input/output channels.
- Process vocals, guitar, etc. with Rack as an effect plugin.
- Perform Rack as an instrument plugin with 8 stereo (or 16 mono) outputs.
- Send recorded or live DAW tracks directly into Rack using 8 stereo (or 16 mono) “sidechain” inputs.
- 16 MIDI input/output channels.
- Generate MIDI for other DAW tracks with Rack’s sequencer modules.
- Record and play back notes, gates, and CV with MIDI clips in your DAW.
- Parameter automation of up to 1024 knobs, sliders, and buttons in your patch so you can record, play back, and tweak your modular performance.
- Multiple instances with low processing overhead.
- Offline rendering when exporting your project mixdown or pre-rendering tracks.
- Resizable plugin window.
Now that VCV Rack Pro 2 is here, Rack works properly as a plug-in. And here’s an advanced application for it – trying new ways of working with clock and time.
Pricing and Availability
VCV Rack 2 is available now, with the following options:
- Free (open-source): Standalone application.
- Pro ($149 regular price, $99 until 2022): Standalone, VST2, more plugin formats coming soon.
- A bundle containing Rack 2 Pro + VCV Drums + VCV Sound Stage is also available until 2022 for $139, having a regular price of $209.