Truly experimental: Tim Thompson’s Space Palette
Tim Thompson, caught at the West Coast Controllerism Championship, discusses his unique Kinect music controller, the Space Palette.
Thompson’s MultiMultiTouchTouch is built with these components:
- Microsoft Kinect (with power supply)
- KeyKit which is Tim’s own programming language and graphical environment for MIDI
- Cinder Open Source SDK
- Open Source Computer Vision (OpenCV)
- Open Sound Control (OSC)
- Python, used to implement a GUI for parameter control
- HP Laptop running Windows 7
- A wood frame for calibration (wood frame is not required once the frames have been calibrated).
The raw output of this controller is OSC messages formatted using the TUIO (multitouch) standard format. Parameters of the software can be controlled with JSON-formatted messages.
You can get more info on Thompson and his unique controllers at his site.