INSTRUMENT 1 – upcoming MIDI controller / musical instrument for iOS
Artiphon has announce the INSTRUMENT 1 – an upcoming MIDI controller that they describe as ‘the most advanced musical instrument for iOS. INSTRUMENT 1 is controller that’s compatible with CoreMIDI iOS apps and designed to be a professional quality instrument. The body of the INSTRUMENT 1 is inspired by the forms of traditional stringed instruments and is cut from ‘heirloom-quality’ hardwood. It can be held in multiple familiar positions–from guitar and fiddle to lap steel and upright bass.
Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1 Specifications:
- Compatible with any CoreMIDI-enabled iOS app and thousands of audio apps.
- Patent-pending force-sensitive interface with six virtual frets and strings, and a strum section inspired by single-coil guitar pickups.
- Accommodates five playing positions: guitar, mandolin, bass, violin, & lap steel.
- High-quality onboard connections for headphones, microphone, ¼-inch stereo instrument cable, and MIDI in/out, and USB.
- Controls for volume, instrument modes, and octave switching.
- Rechargeable internal battery and 12v power input.
- Integrated stereo speakers and a 30-watt, class-D amplifier.
- Advanced control of multi-track recording apps including GarageBand, Pro Tools, and more.
- Body carved of specialty hardwoods and bamboo from sustainable sources.
- Designed and hand-built in Nashville, TN.
“We designed the INSTRUMENT 1 as a hybrid of pro-level components, ergonomic accessibility, and traditional instrument manufacturing techniques,” says Artiphon founder Mike Butera. “It’s been two years in the making and is unlike anything else on the market. We can’t wait to see all the ways musicians put it to work in their creative processes.”
Note: The images shown here are based on an INSTRUMENT 1 prototype. The final prototype is nearly complete and production of the first units is planned for early 2013.
Price and Availability:
Artiphon will begin taking pre-orders for the INSTRUMENT 1 in the first quarter of 2013, at a price point under $1000.