Acrobatics has released Mate, a free synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Mate is a hands-on, simple desktop musicians friend, inspired by synthesizers of the seventies and eighties.
It produces original synth tones and reproduces strings, pianos, basses, organs and bells patches with ease, but it can also explore wild and spacey atmos using its flexible modulation options and smart programming.
- 32-bit ultra-optimized code, zero latency, samplerate independent engine.
- All sample rates supported.
- Each control is fully recordable and automatable in host.
- Most knobs & switches receive external MIDI control changes.
Mate for Windows (VST) is available to download from KVR Audio as part of the Developer Challenge 2014.
Rhythmic Robot has launched NanoMod 8-bit, a free instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
NanoMod 8-bit is a simple but versatile Kontakt synthesiser based on vintage 8-bit polysynths, featuring an “intelligent” interface that allows the user to adjust multiple parameters with single controls. It is offered as part of the KVR Developers’ Challenge 2014.
NanoMod 8-bit brings the simplicity of Rhythmic Robot’s NanoMod interface to bear on the crusty, gritty, aliased sounds of classic 8-bit synthesisers of the early to mid 80s. Using source waves taken from vintage Ensoniq hardware and a front-end incorporating convolved Wasp and MS20 filters, this NanoMod is aimed squarely at big, powerful polysynth sounds – everything from warm and evolving pads to screaming leads.
The library is a free download, released as an entry to the KVR Developer Challenge 2014.
Roger Linn shared another sneak preview of his newLinnStrument in action – doing ‘blues slide guitar’.
The demo highlights the malleability of notes on the LinnStrument. Linn stretches and slides individual notes around the instrument, articulating the sounds expressively in ways more familiar to string musicians than keyboardists.
The LinnStrument is currently under development. Release date and pricing is still to be announced.
In this video, Beethoven’s “Für Elise” is playing in Logic Pro X as a MIDI file.
The LinnStrument is connected over USB and receives the MIDI notes in real-time. MIDI channel 1 is shown in the left split and channel 2 in the right split. Each note highlights all the possible cells that can be played to perform the same piece.
The LinnStrument automatically takes the layout, octave and transposition settings into account.
This feature provides an excellent teaching aid since it works with any existing MIDI file. By varying the speed at which the MIDI notes are sent to the LinnStrument, the piece can start slow at first and be gradually sped up.
Obviously, this can also be used for cool light effects, it’s not necessary to make the MIDI notes play sound. A separate method using MIDI CC messages is also available to directly control cell colors by coordinates without them being related to MIDI notes
Download Free Sample Library by Crypto Cipher – Indian Kontakt Instruments and Sound Designed Instruments.
Crypto Cipher Audio Lab has released a free sample library for Kontakt, featuring Indian instruments.
List Of Instruments and Audio Content:
- Double Sided Hand Drum Sample Size : 12 MB , 250 Samples, This is a multisampled Instrument – 10 RR with Low , Mid and High Velocities. Play with the script to get beautiful patterns.
- ThingamaKit – SFX Instrument. Sample Size :- 70 MB , 170 Samples, Scripted.
- Pambai – Rare South Indian Percussion. Sample Size :- 60 MB , 270 Samples. Multisampled Instrument , Scripted.
- Tabla Mouth Percussion / Thunderous Raga Voice Samples – Audio Wave Format.
- Mouth Shots(Tabla Mouth Percussion) – Scripted/Mod-wheel Controls Speed ((Kontakt 5.3+ Needed))
- Indian Harmonium Scripted – One the the Instrument from Our Bollywood Harmonium Pack.
- Tabla Loops – Wave/REX/Kontakt
- A patch from Voices Of Ragas Vol-1 (Kontakt 5.3+ Needed)
- Sound Design Instruments
- Violin Raga Phrases Instrument ( A patch from Bollywood Harmoniums Product)
Sugar Bytes has introduced Egoist, a new groove instrument plug-in for Mac & Windows.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
Egoist is a groove instrument. Load any audio file and squeeze the groove out of it!
Try your mp3 library and use it a a sound source! The additional onboard bass, beat and fx units make Egoist the perfect track sketch tool in the studio and on the road.
- Quick + Easy track sketching, based on sample slicing
- Minimal, yet effective bass line
- Unique beat box with more than 1000 drums from vintage to electronic
- Effect Sequencer
- Randomizers in all areas
De La Mancha has released Scylla – a 32 bit Windows VST instrument – as a free download.
Scylla is capable of sample playback, combined with subtractive synthesis, to produce a wide variety of sonic possibilities, ranging from lush pads, soundscapes and effects, leads and bass.
Scylla includes three different types of oscillators that can be modified to a wide variety of styles and three built-in samplers that can accommodate .wav audio samples, which can be played back in grain table, waveform, sample or single hit format. All the audio can be modified and modulated through LFO, volume and filter envelopes, Ring-Modulation, and Unison.
Scylla has a tabbed interface with a different tab for each of the 3 layers and a Global tab for effects and LFOs. Each Layer is identical except each has a different type of oscillator, with a Cross-modulation osc, a Morphing osc and a Spectral osc
- Three layers of programmable audio sources
- Each layer consists of:
- Sample player capable of loading full-length samples and custom waveforms
- Oscillator (Dual-OSC with cross-modulation, Morphing OSC, Spectral OSC)
- Each sampler features:
- Playback: Oscillate, Play-Once, Loop-Release
- Basic audio playback features (normalize, stereo to mono, zero-crossing)
- Customizable Loop points
- Granular and Wavetable playback
- Loads any WAV format sample from your own library
- 96MB of sample content, including waveforms, samples and loops
- 128 presets by brian botkiller
- All audio sources have independent tune, volume, and pan
- Ring-Modulation per layer
- Variable stage Filter per Layer
- Adjustable Amp and Filter Envelopes per layer (Envelope contours can be changed)
- Layer Assignable Granulator engine
- 2 layer assignable LFO effects for modulating ring-mod, cutoff (filter), and phase of one LF
- Adjustable Global Amp Envelope
- Mix level of each audio source can be adjusted
- Mix level of each layer can be adjusted
- Master Volume
- Each audio source, envelope, ring-mod and filter can be switched off to save CPU
- Midi CC support
Scylla is free to download.
AudioThing has released Tank Drum for Kontakt 5, a new virtual instrument based on samples from a steel tongue drum.
Also called hang drums, these instruments are usually made out of propane tanks with tongues of different sizes and tuned in different scales.
The instrument sampled features 8 tongues and is tuned in E minor pentatonic. It was played both with hands and rubber mallets, along with some sound effects with hands and brushes. The sound has a long release and is rich in harmonics.
- 7 Kontakt Instruments (.nki)
- 5 Round Robin samples
- 3 Velocity Layers
- 7 Custom Impulse Responses
- 274 Samples (44.1kHz / 24Bit)
- Formats: Kontakt 5 and WAV
echo|collective has announced Signal Return, a performable Kontakt instrument and soundset designed to create a wide variety of interesting and textured sounds.
All of the source material comes from recordings of various devices feeding back into themselves either electrically or acoustically. No software based speaker emulators or distortions were used in the creation of these sounds.
We covered all of the classic forms of feedback including an SM58 through a PA, an electric guitar through a tube amped miked with an SM57 and a Royer 121, a set of Sony headphones feeding into themselves, and a pair of Uniden walkie talkies with both mics open too close to one another.
We also did a series of line level loops with devices like a sansamp bass driver DI, a Danelectro Honeytone amp, and a Roland Cube amp. The line level loops were also run through guitar pedals and pitch/delay plugins to further bend and distort the looped signals.
Signal Return features
- 24 bit 96k metadata tagged wav files.
- Soundminer embedded spectrograms created with iZotope RX3.
- 250+ unique recordings.
- 4.8 total Gb of sounds.
- 22 Kontakt fully programmed unlocked .nki files.
- .nki files require full version of NI Kontakt 5.0 or higher.
The library is available for purchase for $20 USD.
Cinematique Instruments has announced Shruti Box, a Kontakt instrument library featuring traditional drones and a shruti-sizer.
The Shruti Box is a traditional Indian instrument which works on a system of bellows. It is a keyless version of the harmonium, which was invented for the specifc purpose of producing drone sounds. On the front it has 12 valves to control the pitch. The instrument is generally used to accompany other instruments in rehearsal sessions or concerts of classical Indian music. But the shruti box is enjoying a renaissance in the West amongst traditional and contemporary musicians who are using it for a range of different styles.
We carefully sampled the individual notes, even the noises which are produced by the bellow and paid special attention to capture the unique character of a Shruti Box which can described as rough and vibrant. Traditionally the Shruti Box has a range of 13 notes which we expanded up to 3 full octaves. In order to get a realistic Shruti sound and enrich the sound with vividness we provided two kinds of pump action which can be switched on separately. We also added distortion, chorus and a rotary simulation to shape the sound as well as a special sustain mode which will play an endless drone. All these features are giving the Shruti Box nice options to shape the sound.
But that’s not all! We thought how could we push the Shruti Box forward to much more versatility? And that’s why invented the Shruti-Sizer:
If you turn around the Shruti Box you are getting to a complete different interface which has nothing to do with the traditionally Shruti Box. It reminds you to an old synthesizer look with knobs, symbols and an oscilloscope. It is a complex LFO modulation section. You can modulate several parameter by four different wave forms with a variable speed. It puts the Shruti Box to another level and lets you create individual pad sounds an even constantly evolving rhythmic textures.
The result of it all is a unique instrument and a perfect supplement to the Cinematique Instruments family.
The library is available for purchase for 28 EUR. Requires Kontakt 4.22 or higher, full version.
All sounds are 100% Arpology!
The Next Step In Music
Arpology, recently announced by Sonic Faction, is available for download today. A virtual instrument for Native Instruments’ Kontakt, Arpology is dedicated to arpeggiated/sequenced instruments.
The core of Arpology has been designed around Sample Logic’s Step Animator – a step sequencer and arpeggiator, combined into a single engine for animating complex melodic and rhythmic patterns on a per-step basis.
The first video, above, takes an in-depth look at Arpology’s features and how they can be used.