Tom Brislin explores Muse Research’s top-of-the-line hardware plug-in host, the Receptor Qu4ttro. Read the full review in the September 2014 issue of Keyboard. The Muse Receptor Qu4ttro is a rackmount computer that’s designed specifically for use as a hardware VST host. It lets you run VSTs as a hardware module.
RECEPTOR is not a computer. And it’s not a hardware synth or effects processor, either. RECEPTOR is a “hybrid music instrument” that serves as a stand-alone solution for running virtual instruments and effects software. With RECEPTOR, you don’t have to buy a bunch of interfaces and install a bunch of drivers to start making music, since the RECEPTOR is a complete, rack-mount musical instrument and effects processor that works right out of the box. Nothing more to buy, install, or fiddle with to get working.
These RECEPTORs provide a custom front panel hardware user interface that lets you harness all the power and versatility of virtual instruments and effects with minimal hassle – no computer monitor required – making the RECEPTOR something that ALL musicians can use.
RECEPTOR is software-powered, but it employs a custom, purpose-built operating system and host application for running your software to let you make music without the worry or hassle of system conflicts, long boot and load times, slow disc messages, system hiccups, viruses, and the other stability problems that plague computers. Even better, the RECEPTOR is designed for superior playability, so your favorite virtual instruments and effects feel better than ever before.
Waves has introduced the Dave Clarke EMP Toolbox, a collection of selected effect plug-ins.
Dave Clarke (Depeche Mode, Chemical Brothers, John Foxx, I am Kloot, Louisahhh!!! & Maelstrom) has been among the leading techno DJ/producers of the past two decades, commanding the respect of listeners everywhere, from massive outdoor festivals such as Tommorowland to the grittiest clubs of the underground scene.
The Dave Clarke EMP Toolbox contains seven supreme sound–crafting processors – the ones he uses regularly in his mixing and mastering sessions. With this collection of plugins, electronic music producers of any style will find what they need to give their mixes a professional lift. And if techno or electro is your trade, you will find even more.
Dave Clarke EMP Toolbox features
- API 560 Graphic EQ.
- Scheps 73 EQ/Preamp.
- Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter.
- LoAir Subharmonic Generator.
- Kramer Master Tape.
- Dorrough Meters (Stereo).
The Dave Clarke EMP Toolbox is available for purchase for the introductory price of $599 USD (regular $800 USD).
Dave Clarke EMP Toolbox: http://www.waves.com/bundles/dave-cla…
introducing CosmosƒFx, a stochastic live input processor effect plugin, having identical engine with Cosmosƒ vSaturn. Preferably, listen to the demo with headphones to perceive some subtile nuances. And please be careful with the volume.
- Three different live input handling methods for the micro events
- The direct input mode delivers the live input directly to the micro events being sampled and manipulated synchronously.
- The circular buffer sampling mode records the live input into a circular buffer and each micro event can access to this buffer with different sample lengths set individually.
- The additive synthesis sampling mode offers the data in the circular buffer to each of the 12partials of the Cosmosƒ additive synthesis engine. Their pitch and amplitude balance can bet individually to build fascinating clusters with the live input audio stream.
Cosmosƒ Fx is bundled with vSaturn synthesizer, which is priced at US $230. See thesonicLab site for details.
XILS-lab has announced the release of XILS DeeS, a new transparent de-esser effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
With the help of the XILS DeeS you can get rid of all the Voice recordings faults and problems in a flash, while preserving their unique, precious character.
Getting clean, professional vocals, dubbing recordings, restoring voices in all their beauty has never been so easy.
- Easy to use: Find the sweet spot in a flash and remove all unwanted signals. Just move the Frequency Knob and apply Reduction. No more sibilance.
- Easy to understand: Clear Dual Signal path. Solo buttons for each channel (Voice, Sibilants).
- Visualize what you do: Instant Correlation between ears, eye and brain in a glance with the fast, precise 4 signals real time Frequency Graph (Bottom of unit).
- Easy to tweak: Go further and adapt the character of a voice to your project. Or make special effects and creative use of the DeeS.
- Entirely Transparent: No filter sweep effect like with traditional similar tools.
- Fast: The detection can be applied as fast as it should be, resulting in lively, natural voices (No more lifeless voices).
- Input independent detection: Retains the whole dynamic range of the incoming audio.
- Simple: Sibilant and Voice Channels are clearly identified on each UI part: Knobs, Graphs share common color code.
- Exclusive: Plosive detection for better recognition.
- Then go even further: Endless possibilities to change, adapt, or polish the character of voices with two independent EQing audio paths (Analog like 0-delay-feedback filters).
XILS DeeS for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/AAX) is available for purchase for the introductory price of 59 EUR until September 1st, 2014 (regular 89 EUR).
Universal Audio has announced the Thermionic Culture Vulture Plug-In for their UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform and Apollo audio interfaces.
The British-made Thermionic Culture Vulture has long been admired for creating studio-grade, high-gain valve distortion. After a multi-year engineering effort from Universal Audio, producers and engineers can now track and mix with the only authentic circuit emulation of this one-of-a-kind valve distortion tool.
The Thermionic Culture Vulture plug-in models the original hardware’s three distinct all-valve circuit topologies and features Universal Audio’s first ever pentode tube circuit model. The Culture Vulture plug-in also offers two features not found on the original hardware — a Dry/Wet Parallel Mix control and a Link function for a perfectly matched stereo image to maximize workflow and preserve balances.
In addition, the all-new Thermionic Culture Vulture plug-in features presets from famous Culture Vulture users.
Thermionic Culture Vulture Plug-In Key Features:
- The world’s only authentic emulation of the legendary high gain, dual-stage valve distortion unit
- Can subtly alter or completely transform a single track or an entire mix with valve coloration
- Dial in rich harmonic content with three diverse valve topologies — including UA’s first ever pentode tube emulation
- Includes parallel Dry/Wet processing and Link controls not found on the original hardware
Pricing and Availability. Available for purchase from UA’s Online Store for $299, the new Thermionic Culture Vulture Plug-in is part of the new UAD Software v7.8. (Requires a UAD DSP Accelerator Card or Apollo Audio Interface available from authorized dealers worldwide).
audioD3CK has released ChopChop, a compressor effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
ChopChop’s algorithm was originally designed to be reasonably clean while operating with a very fast attack time and classic peak detection. The result is a very flexible compressor with a distinct sound. ChopChop is best used when the compression is meant to be heard, but it can act as an invisible tool too!
- External side chain.
- Linear domain compression for an old school sound.
- High pass filter in side chain.
- Range control to limit amount of gain reduction.
- Range knee to alter character of compression range.
- Mid/side mode.
- Freely adjustable channel linking.
- Adjustable compression knee.
- Full range ratio, all the way form 1:1 to 1:infinity.
- Flexible metering.
- Parallel compression.
- Release acceleration control to alter compressors behavior.
ChopChop for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available for purchase for 19 EUR (non-commercial) / 49 EUR (commercial).
AudioD3CK has also released a version 1.1 update for all its plugins, which includes the following new features:
- Resizable UIs.
- Internal preset handling.
- Undo/redo for parameter changes.
- Updated manuals.
- Better authorization process.
- Improved installer.
- Registration free demo versions.
- Some presets.
- [Krucz] Additional makeup parameter.
The updates are free to existing customers. AAX and VST3 versions are in development.
Tokyo Dawn Records and Variety of Sound have released SlickEQ – Gentleman’s Edition, an equalizer effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
SlickEQ – Gentleman’s Edition takes SlickEQ’s concept to new heights and adds an exotic “Tilt”-filter flanked by flexible low-pass and high-pass filters. Five distinct EQ models provide a rich set of predefined EQ curves and behaviours for the three main semi parametric filter bands.
SlickEQ GE offers a switchable EQ non-linearity as well as six different output stages. These options offer subtle and interesting textures, from the typical “mojo” often associated with high quality analogue audio gear, up to more obvious saturation.
SlickEQ – Gentleman’s Edition features
- Modern user interface with outstanding usability and ergonomics.
- Carefully designed 64bit “delta” multi-rate structure.
- Three semi-parametric filter bands, each with two shape options.
- Five distinct EQ models: American, British, German, Soviet and Japanese.
- Low band offers an optional phase-lag able to delay low frequencies relative to higher frequencies.
- High pass filter with optional “Bump” mode.
- Low pass filter with two different slopes (6dB/Oct and 12dB/Oct).
- Parametric Tilt filter with optional “V” mode..
- Six output stages: Linear, Silky, Mellow, Deep, Excited and Toasted.
- Advanced saturation algorithms by VoS (“Stateful saturation”).
- Highly effective loudness compensated auto gain control.
- Stereo, mono and sum/difference (mid/side) processing options.
- Frequency magnitude plot.
- Tool-bar with undo/redo, A/B, advanced preset management and more.
SlickEQ – Gentleman’s Edition for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/AAX) is available for purchase for 30 EUR.
Sugar Bytes has introduced Egoist, a new groove instrument plug-in for Mac & Windows.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
Egoist is a groove instrument. Load any audio file and squeeze the groove out of it!
Try your mp3 library and use it a a sound source! The additional onboard bass, beat and fx units make Egoist the perfect track sketch tool in the studio and on the road.
- Quick + Easy track sketching, based on sample slicing
- Minimal, yet effective bass line
- Unique beat box with more than 1000 drums from vintage to electronic
- Effect Sequencer
- Randomizers in all areas
Ichiro Toda has released new beta versions of the freeware Synth1 plug-in for Windows and Mac OS X.
The Windows v1.13 Beta 1 release adds a 64-bit VST version whilst the Mac v1.13 Beta 7 release adds an Audio Unit version (32-bit only for now).
Changes in Windows v1.13 beta1:
- 64-bit version is available.
- VST version up to 2.4 (both 32-bit & 64-bit). There is no change to the previous version in functionality.
- Bug Fix: Fixed a problem that occurred is petit noise on MusicMaker.
WOK has released VVOC-1, a new free synth plug-in that generates vocal sounds with a vintage electronic touch, from single formants to synthetic choir sounds.
The integrated triple-chorus and the X/Y pad for adjusting the formants, a pitch glide function and a hidden secret unveil more power than the easy GUI might imply.
Price: Free. As with all of WOK’s plugins there is no adware or spyware included.