Plugin Alliance has launched bx_opto, a compressor effect plug-in by Brainworx.
The Brainworx bx_opto compressor combines some of the best colors, character and features from what Brainworx has learned modeling the optical circuits of some of the world’s best-loved compressors. Rather than recreating a hardware product in software, the bx_opto takes the best aspects and anomalies from these legendary light-dependent circuits to create a software compressor you’ll wish you could buy a hardware version of. The result is a beastly little dynamics processor, teeming with character and spitting out sounds no analog optical compressor can.
Most optical compressors are appreciated for their musical, program dependent character introduced by anomalies in the light dependent circuitry of the sidechain; the general speed of compression is cemented by the given behavior of the compressor’s Light Dependent Resistor (LDR). Hardware opto-compressors can only allow users the ability to adjust the effect of this character by introducing a separate resistance circuit that gives some control over the compression envelope.
- Analog, optical compression colors with more control.
- Content-dependent peak reduction / compression with one knob.
- ‘Speed’ knob controls the coefficient of Light Dependent Resistor, creating unique transient response.
- Fully sweepable (20 Hz – 20 kHz) LP/HP/BP (wide)/ BP (narrow) sidechain filter .
- Wet/Dry mix for parallel compression .
- Accurate metering for reading amount of gain reduction.
- NOT a transparent compressor; gently level or completely raze your sound with harmonically pleasant results.
bx_opto for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX/AudioSuite) is available for purchase for $149 USD.
audioD3CK has released ChopChop, a compressor effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
ChopChop’s algorithm was originally designed to be reasonably clean while operating with a very fast attack time and classic peak detection. The result is a very flexible compressor with a distinct sound. ChopChop is best used when the compression is meant to be heard, but it can act as an invisible tool too!
- External side chain.
- Linear domain compression for an old school sound.
- High pass filter in side chain.
- Range control to limit amount of gain reduction.
- Range knee to alter character of compression range.
- Mid/side mode.
- Freely adjustable channel linking.
- Adjustable compression knee.
- Full range ratio, all the way form 1:1 to 1:infinity.
- Flexible metering.
- Parallel compression.
- Release acceleration control to alter compressors behavior.
ChopChop for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available for purchase for 19 EUR (non-commercial) / 49 EUR (commercial).
AudioD3CK has also released a version 1.1 update for all its plugins, which includes the following new features:
- Resizable UIs.
- Internal preset handling.
- Undo/redo for parameter changes.
- Updated manuals.
- Better authorization process.
- Improved installer.
- Registration free demo versions.
- Some presets.
- [Krucz] Additional makeup parameter.
The updates are free to existing customers. AAX and VST3 versions are in development.
Solid State Logic has announced that three new Duende Native plug-ins and migration to iLok 2 copy protection are now available online.
The superior audio quality and deep feature set of the SSL Duende Native plug-in range has earned the respect of a very discerning clientele through the years.
The three new plug-ins complement the existing range with two plug-ins (X-Saturator & X-ValveComp) designed to bring some analogue saturation and distortion emulation to your digital DAW and the third (X-Phase) delivering high precision frequency specific phase correction.
The new plug-ins are available now via the SSL web site. To coincide with the new plug-in release SSL has migrated the entire Duende Native plug-in collection to the iLok 2 copy protection system. SSL has also announced a summer release for AAX native versions of the entire suite.
New Duende plug-ins
- X-Phase is an All-pass Filter plug-in that offers the user manual control and benchmark audio quality. It enables the user to apply a phase shift (sometimes called a phase offset) at a specified frequency within a signal. Unlike other filter types where the gain of selected frequencies is altered, with an All-pass Filter the gain remains unchanged throughout the signal. This is useful for fixing phase problems with microphones when recording: eg overheads causing phase problems when mixed with close mic’s.
- X-Saturator delivers a stunning range of analogue style distortion effects. It is an emulation of an analogue circuit that introduces either 2nd order valve style or 3rd order transistor style distortion or a blend of the two. At low drive settings the distortion is mild and can add gentle warming to help instruments sit nicely in a mix or to add a little extra edge to help instruments cut through a mix. As drive levels are increased so too is the level of distortion until at high drive levels heavy distortion occurs.
- X-ValveComp is a fully-featured mono or stereo channel compressor with a full set of classic channel compressor controls and an added ‘valve’ emulation stage. The valve emulation stage sits after the compressor in the signal path and adds a variable degree of primarily 2nd order harmonic saturation and distortion that thickens and colours the sound. The compressor can be switched between Peak or RMS modes and has a full set of standard controls.
X-Phase is available for purchase for £199 GBP/249 EUR/$329 USD. X-Saturator and X-ValveComp are £69 GBP/89 EUR/$119 USD each, with an introductory price of £49 GBP/59 EUR/$85 USD for the first 30 days only. Prices exclude tax.
Tek’it Audio has announced the release of Comp, a compressor plug-in in VST format. Comp is a modern compressor that is designed to provide visual tools to help a user visualize the dynamics applied to a sound.
- Real time visualization.
- RMS and Peak compression.
- Soft and Hard knee.
- Attack range from 0.01ms to 0.9s.
- Ratio up to 30:1.
- Wet/Dry mix for parallel compression.
- Input, Output, Gain reduction readouts and VU.
- Scope visualization at sample sync to 200ms window.
- Zero Latency.
- Full MIDI automation support.
- Easy MIDI learn on all parameters.
- Use 7-bit MIDI Continuous Controller or High resolution 14-bit MIDI NRPN and RPN.
- Integrated Preset manager, rename, copy, save, load…
Price: €29 / $39. A demo version of “Comp” is available to download as a VST plug-in for Windows. The full version is available to purchase for.
Audiomodern has release Snare Comp [Rack] – a free download for Ableton Live.
The free Live rack is described as ‘a hard snare compressor’.
http://www.t-racks.com for more information
The Bus Compressor is based on the mix bus VCA compressor of a worldwide known and acknowledged British mixing console from the 80’s. This legendary processor has been painstakingly analyzed and measured down to the very single active and passive component to obtain a dead on behavior that will impart that famous “glue” effect on mix tracks without any compromise.
In this tutorial we look at several applications of the plug-in: The subtle yet effective “glue effect”, compressing a drum bus from subtle to slamming or squashed, and all of the components of this plug-in including the great GRIT switch. Learn about the dual functionality of the RESET button, sidechain hi pass, and mid-side processing.
“Bus Compressor is one of the 20 professional mixing and mastering processors available in the T-RackS Custom Shop. Download the free T-RackS Custom Shop software, which comes with the Classic T-RackS Equalizer and a full metering suite, and you’ll have access to the Custom Shop, where you can try our processors before you buy.”
In this short interview, Howie B talks about working with analog gear, producing in the box and why he loves the VINTAGE COMPRESSORS Series. See how he uses the VC 2A on “Summer’s Flower” – a track from his upcoming album.
Click here for the full interview:
SKnote has launched the C165a, a circuit modeled emulation of a VCA compressor with internal peak limiter.
C165a has been developed by measuring and testing a classic VCA compressor with a great sound and very simple to use. Its features have been extended including sidechain filters, a sample-aligned parallel mixing control and a limiter switch.
- Auto mode for easy compression, punch and smooth sustain.
- 4x oversampling for nice saturation.
- Internal sidechain equalizer (low, mid and high bands).
- Internal limiter with controlled distortion (for more punch, peak control or creative drive – switchable).
- Sample aligned internal parallel compression.
- Knee meter (leds) and in/out/compression meter.
- Simple 3D interface.
- From transparent compression to extreme punch, sustain and creative distortion.
The plugin is available for Windows and Mac (32/64bit, VST/AU/RTAS), priced at $29.99 USD.
Three studio legends return: The VC 76, VC 2A and VC 160 recall three of the most heavily-used compressors in studio history, each with its own unmistakable sound. Find out more at: http://www.native-instruments.com/vintagecompressors
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS and Softube present VINTAGE COMPRESSORS —painstakingly accurate emulations of three of the most heavily-used compressors in studio history. The VC 76, VC 2A, and VC 160 feature a modern, clean design for intuitive usability while each maintains its own unmistakable sound. Thanks to added sidechaining and parallel compression, these VINTAGE COMPRESSORS actually improve on the originals.
The VINTAGE COMPRESSORS collection includes all three devices. Each compressor is also available separately. All effects run as native plug-ins in your host DAW.
Each of the three compressors has its own unique character and specific advantages:
VC 76: Workhorse compressor with a fast attack. Great presence, punchy, clear high end. Good for drums, vocals or stereo limiting.
VC 2A: Smooth compressor with a silky, natural sound. Great on vocals, bass, pads and guitar.
VC 160: Classic compressor for added attack and a subtle drive. Especially good on kickdrum, snare, bass or guitar.
ReaComp is REAPER’s compression effect. In this quick tip Ken Theriot uses ReaComp on a vocal track and demonstrates how to make the most of it.