Binary Music has released LA-50, a new virtual instrument based on the classic Roland D-50 keyboard.
The upper and lower tones of each patch were sampled separately and their levels, pans and modulation can be adjusted independently. In total there are 100 instruments made from 2,486 samples – 2GB uncompressed.
The samples were recorded dry, then carefully matched reverb impulses were created using a Roland SRV3030. All samples were recorded in 24 bit at 44.1 kHz.
Released in 1987, the D50 was Roland’s answer to the Yamaha DX7. Although much easier to program, many of the presets found their way unedited straight onto hits during the late ’80s and early ’90s. Sounds such as Digital Native Dance, Soundtrack, Pizzagogo, Staccato Heaven and Fantasia, (all included in LA-50) became staples of many producers. The D50 features on albums by artists as diverse asMichael Jackson, Seal, 808 State, Duran Duran, Foreigner, Enya and Vangelis.
The D50 used a combination of PCM samples and a form of synthesis called Linear Arithmetic, which was actually quite analogue sounding. It was also the first synth to include an onboard digital reverb. On the D50 the reverb had to be switched off on a per patch basis, but on the rack mount D550 it could be switched off globally. By recording the tones dry, it’s possible to use a third party reverb instead of the included impulses.
Youtube alias ‘massivebeatzz’ checks out the Aira, details below:
Just got my hands on a Roland AIRA series TR8! Watch the shaping of a Live house beat with this new concept of virtual analog drum box. Going through different kicks and snares etc, to put this “glowbaby” to the test!
Background video description:
picked up the TR-8 this week, it makes a great companion to the Tempest, which i have going through a Korg Kaoss pad Quad and into the Roland’s external input.
Mitch tries out two apps in this episode of Sweetwater’s iOS Update. First, we check out the “BOOM! 808″ drum machine app, based on the original Roland TR-808 drum machine. Next, Mitch tries out a metronome/setlist app called Tempo.
- The “BOOM! 808″ drum machine app, based on the original Roland TR-808 drum machine: and
- a metronome/setlist app called Tempo.
An instrumental version of Depeche Mode – Shouldn’t Have Done That using Elektron Analog Four and Roland Aira TR-8.
Cover of Nitzer Ebb – Join In The Chant using Elektron Analog Four and Roland TR-8.
Catching up with David Arlund at the Dancefair Utrecht to walk us through the features of the Roland Aira TR-8 drum machine. The TR-8 is a hardware model of two of the most coveted drum machines of all time, the TR-808 and TR-909.
Miles from Sonic Sense Pro Audio demonstrates some of the little known features and functions of Roland’s new Aira TR-8 drum machine.
For more demos,comparisons, and tutorials, visit sonicsense.com/blog
We take a look at the features of the Roland VT-3
Product info from Roland:
Aggressively processed vocals are common in electronic music today, but producing these effects easily and reproducing them live has been a challenge—until now. With the VT-3 Voice Transformer, you can smoothly alter pitch and formant in real time to introduce heavily processed vocal sounds into your studio tracks and stage performances with zero hassle. On top of that, the VT-3 looks great and works seamlessly with other products in the AIRA series.
- - Create heavily processed vocal sounds in real time
- - Smooth control with dedicated Pitch and Formant sliders
- - Large dedicated Reverb and Mix Balance sliders
- - Save three favorite settings for instant recall
- - Connect an optional footswitch for additional control in live performances
- - Pure green LEDs and brightly lit controls for great visibility
- - Lightweight and durable construction for easy portability
- - Standard XLR/TRS combo jack (with phantom power) and 1/8-inch mic jack (with plug-in power)
- - Stereo outputs can be configured as separate mono wet/dry channels
- - Built-in USB audio interface with loopback recording to overdub vocals on existing tracks
- - Great for podcasts and live web streaming
- - Powered by USB bus or included AC adapter
MESSE 2014: Roland Aira System 1 Raw and un-effected, and yes we have pitch bend