Cockos has released version 5.0 of Reaper, containing many under-the-hood optimizations and improvements.
REAPER is a complete digital audio production application for Windows and OS X, offering a full multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing and mastering toolset.
REAPER supports a vast range of hardware, digital formats and plugins, and can be comprehensively extended, scripted and modified.
Changes in Reaper 5.0
- FX: VST3 support, sample-accurate automation for VST3 and JSFX, FX browser improvements.
- ReaScript: API and scripting improvements, including a built-in development environment for creating and debugging scripts in LUA, EEL, or Python. Create anything from simple macros, to complex new functionality.
- Control grouping: Flexible, automatable VCA control. Link groups of track controls together at any point in the signal flow.
- Video: Many improvements to video support and performance, including real-time programmable track and item effect processing.
- FX parameter automation: Full automation and MIDI/OSC learn support for per-take FX, improved FX envelope and modulation management via the Project Bay, increased automation recording speed.
- And more: New GUI layouts, Media Explorer improvements, metronome beat patterns, Opus support, MIDI note-off editing, new volume envelope modes, new actions and API functions, and many other fixes and improvements.
Reaper 5 is available for purchase for $60 USD (discounted license) / $225 USD (commercial license).
PreSonus has announced it is shipping Studio One 3, the most significant update to its powerful, easy to use digital audio workstation.
Available in Artist and Professional editions, version 3 adds true innovations in song arranging and experimentation, as well as inspiring new ways to craft unique and evocative sounds. In addition, Studio One 3 opens users to new ways to control and mix within the application as the first DAW to offer a dual platform (Mac and Windows), multi-touch interface. Furthermore, Studio One 3 Professional users now have the freedom to create away from the desk through Studio One Remote for iPad. The new Studio One promises to look as good as it feels, with a sleek, modern, configurable UI for high-resolution displays.
Innovations in arranging and experimentation
Studio One 3 Professional introduces the Arranger Track, which makes it easy to build and rearrange songs, letting you copy or move entire song sections with simple drag-and-drop. It has its own Track Inspector that shows all sections of the song, which also doubles as a quick navigation tool for your song.
Unique Scratch Pads, also in Studio One Professional, provide an independent parallel timeline that lets you safely experiment on alternate ideas without jeopardizing arrangements. Simply drag Arranger sections, individual content, or entire songs into the Scratch Pad, make edits, then drag it back to your main song. Unlimited Scratch Pads can be saved with your project, saving you the trouble of numerous alternate song files.
The updated Browser, found in both Artist and Professional, makes it easier than ever to find the content you’re looking for, with tag-based “musical” search. You can now search for loops, samples, and presets by typing keywords like “genre” and “instrument” or by filtering content by selecting tags. The Browser also now has an integrated Cloud tab to access additional content online.
New ways to craft unique sounds
Extended FX Chains, new in the Professional version, provide new ways to build complex, multi-dimensional sounds by chaining and combining effects plug-ins in serial, in parallel by channel, or by frequency with up to five splits.
Also new in Professional, Multi Instruments allow you to combine multiple instruments as layers or splits in a single Instrument Track and play them like one instrument. Further dimensions can be added to a sound by using Note FX on individual Instruments layers within a Multi Instrument.
Note FX is a new plug-in type introduced in Studio One 3 that adds life to Instrument tracks by processing their note data. The four Note FX included with Studio One 3 Professional are Arpeggiator, Chorder, Repeater, and Input Filter.
Each console channel and Multi Instrument in Studio One Professional now offers Macro Controls, which allow individual instrument or plug-in parameters to be assigned to control knobs, switches, and X/Y pads for easy access. Multiple parameters can be assigned to the same control with independent settings for range/polarity/curve.
Studio One version 3 features a powerful new instrument engine that drives two new instruments.
Mai Tai is a polyphonic analog modeling synth for modern electro and bass sounds. Mai Tai’s sounds can change character and produce drastic morphing changes and unique timbres. Its Multimode filter offers sounds ranging from vintage analog (a la Moog or Oberheim) to state-of-the-art, zero-delay feedback filters. Mai Tai’s oscillators and LFOs have a free-run option, like an analog synth. And you can build enormously complex sounds with modular-synth-style operation through Mai Tai’s 16-stage modulation matrix.
Presence XT is an expandable, full-featured sampler with a comprehensive sample library that covers all the bases. It offers disk streaming for large samples, and many sounds utilize articulation key-switching, scripting, and custom controls for unique sound parameters. Studio One 3 Professional includes a 14 GB sound library for Presence XT and can read popular sampler formats, including EXS, Kontakt, Giga, and SoundFont without conversion.
There are over 70 new features and updates included in the Studio One version 3 upgrade. Some of the more significant updates include:
- Hands-on editing, mixing, and arranging via Mac and PC multi-touch displays
- Customizable high DPI user interface
- Studio One Remote for iPad® control
- AudioBend time and pitch manipulation updated with élastiquePRO 3 algorithms
- Rotor and Bitcrusher audio effects
- Automation curves
- 1:1 Track view/console sync
- Step recording
- Smart, definable Alternate tool
- Context-sensitive help, documentation, and tool-tips
Studio One 3 is now available in Artist and Professional versions, as both upgrades and full programs. In June, PreSonus will also introduce Studio One Prime, a fully functioning free version, which will provide a great way to get started with Studio One.
Propellerhead Software has announced the release of Reason 8.2, the most recent update of the award-winning Reason music production software.
The latest update makes it even easier for new and existing Reason 8 customers to download, install, and stay up to date with the latest version.
Eliminate the hassle of bulky manual installs with the new convenient auto-update feature. Reason now detects and downloads the most recent eligible software updates so you’ll always have the latest and greatest version. Download and get up and running faster. A typical Reason update (minus the soundbanks) will now be around 100 MB—a tenth of its old size.
The Reason 8.2 update addresses many requested features including Revert browsing—a new workflow in Reason’s browser that will be familiar to users of previous versions—more colors in the sequencer, expanded Remote support for Redrum Drum Machine, streamlined sound bank handling and more.
Reason 8.2 also gives you access to the newly introduced Propellerhead music-making service, which is continually updated with new features and functionality based on customer feedback. This free music making service connects the free Figure and Take mobile apps with the award-winning Reason music production software, so you can create, share, collaborate and remix with other musicians around the globe.
Reason 8 is available for purchase for MSRP 405 EUR/$449 USD. Reason Essentials 8 is 120 EUR/$129 USD. Reason 8.2 is a free downloadable update for Reason 8 owners.
FL Studio 12 totally reworks the user interface and adds exciting new features you have been asking for.
If you already own FL Studio the good news is you will get free access to the FL Studio 12 Beta and to FL Studio 12 release. So buy FL Studio now, and be the first in line to work with the FL Studio 12 Beta.
New in FL Studio 12 (beta)
- Fully reworked scalable interface – Any screen size or resolution you use, FL Studio will always fit.
- Multi-touch – Multi-touch capability extends to the Mixer.
- Browser – New category tabs and the ability to delete content on right-click.
- Channel Menu – The Channel Options Menu have moved from the Toolbar Menus to the Channel rack.
- Channel settings – Have been integrated into the Plugin Wrapper (no more Channel settings pop-up).
- Pattern Menu – The Pattern Menu has moved from the Channel rack to the Toolbar Menu and Pattern Selector.
- Piano roll – Piano roll Auto-zoom can now be deselected from Settings > General > Auto zoom in piano roll.
- Playlist – Multiple drag and drop for audio files onto Playlist (from a Windows file browser).
- Stepsequencer – Step sequences are now interchangeable with Piano rolls.
- VST Plugins – VST plugin installation & discovery improved and simplified.
- Fruity Formula Controller – Updated, new UI.
- Fruity Envelope Controller – Updated, 8 Articulators, Mod X/Y env, Smart Knobs, New UI.
- Fruity Keyboard Controller – Attack smoothing, new UI.
FL Studio is available for purchase starting at $99 USD. New Image-Line customers can get 10% discount on their first order. The beta is now available to download for registered Image-Line forum users (registration is free).
Propellerhead Software has announced the release of Reason 8, a major new version of the award-winning Reason music production software which introduces a completely redesigned user interface and streamlined new workflow.
“Musicians and producers love Reason because it’s both fun and inspiring,” said Leo Nathorst-Böös, Propellerhead Product Marketing Manager. “For Reason 8, we’ve introduced a new creative flow that feels second nature to exploring sounds and developing songs. Whether you have lots of experience or just starting out, Reason is the fastest way to develop musical ideas and capture your inspiration.”
Reason 8 introduces a redesigned user interface, fresh new look and even smoother creative flow. Quickly and easily access your sounds, loops and patches whenever you need them using a new browser and search window—a one-stop-shop for creative inspiration. Dial-in incredible guitar and bass tones with a collection of new amps from legendary circuit modeler Softube—simply plug in your instrument, crank up the volume and experience the uncompromising tone, response and dynamics of the world’s finest classic amplifiers.
Reason 8 also features countless usability improvements that put the flow back in workflow. Drag-and-drop from anywhere to anything and work faster with fewer clicks. Edit your tracks quickly with more powerful sequence note editing. Reason 8 lets you flow seamlessly from initial idea to completed song. And, with an ever-expanding selection of Rack Extension plug-ins available in the Propellerhead shop, you can easily expand your rack to include everything your music needs—now and in the future.
Reason 8 is available for purchase for 405 EUR/$449 USD, Reason Essentials 8 is 120 EUR/$129 USD, and the Reason 8 Upgrade (from any previous Reason version) costs 129 EUR/$129 USD. Propellerhead is also offering a grace period for customers who purchased Reason 7 on or after July 1, 2014
Reason is the music software made with one thing in mind: you. And whatever music is on your mind, Reason makes it easier to bring it out. Version 8 brings a faster and easier interface with a whole new look and an even smoother creative flow. Drag and drop everything and everywhere. Find inspiring sounds instantly in the new, always open browser. Explore new amp and speaker models from Softube. Go faster from good ideas to great music than ever before. This is your Reason. This is Reason 8.
New studio section turns VocaLive into a full-fledged DAW! More information at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/vocalive
VocaLive is now the digital audio workstation for singers and songwriters
What’s new in VocaLive 2.0 –
• Studio section* (available via in-app purchase) offers DAW-style features: waveform visualization and editing, touch-and-drag looping, normalization, punch-in/punch-out recording, per-channel FX on/off button and full access to all mixing and recording controls
• AutoFreeze (allows each track to have its own full effects chain)
* requires iPhone 4, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2 or later
Image-Line has announced the release of a 64-bit version of its FL Studiomusic production software.
FL Studio 64 Bit is a free option for existing customers while new customers get FL Studio 32 and 64 Bit with no change to current FL Studio pricing.
FL Studio 64 is available in a single unified FL Studio 32/64 Bit installer or as a 64 Bit update installer for any version of FL Studio 11.
FL Studio 64 Bit features
- Access up to 512 GB memory, depending on your Windows version.
- 32 Bit bridged and 64 Bit native VST plugin support.
- Project compatibility between 32 and 64 Bit versions.
- FL Studio available as a 64 Bit VST plugin for use in 64 Bit VST hosts.
- Limitations: The following features & plugins rely on 3rd party code that is not available in 64 Bit at this time – Buzz Adapter, Edison ‘Clean Audio’ function*, FL Slayer, Fruity Soundfont Player*, Synthmaker/Flowstone*, Wasp/Wasp XT (*Planned for a future 64 Bit update).
Find more details on the 64-bit update at this news post.
FL Studio is available for purchase in various editions, starting at $99 USD. New Image-Line customers can save 10% off a purchase here.
Supplemental video to the Caustic 3 overview video to show what’s new in this release.
The full app overview is here:
New KSSynth tutorial is here:
As a thank-you to those who actually *watch* these tutorial videos, I’ve made this little tutorial showing how to unlock a fun little extra feature in Caustic 3.1