German software developers u-he have decided to make Zebralette, a stripped-down version of their popular Zebra 2 synth freeware. Here’s what they have to say:
Zebralette has two LFOs (one per voice, one global), a multi-stage envelope and three on-board effects (chorus, EQ, delay). Not forgetting Zebra2’s famous dual spectral effects, which include several squelchy filter algorithms.
Megasaw? Zebralette also goes to eleven.
So: Because the Zebra2 oscillators are so powerful, Zebralette is actually a great little synth in its own right, and it has the same pristine audio quality as the mighty Zebra2… try out the new presets and see for yourself!”
Benedict Roff-Marsh has announced that SynthStudio Packs and PreRoll Recorder are now available as a free download.
The time has finally come. I have had a great run with SSP but the time has come for it to cease being payware and to go free. For the next wile I will still hold SSP & PRR on my site and they can be downloaded free – with the hope some will buy some of my music or show their appreciation in some other way.
I really want to thank all the people who have supported the SSP not only in purchasing and using but in promotions and generally adding to the Pack. I value each and every one of you and it is with some tugging of the heartstrings that I make this move.
Please enjoy (or continue to enjoy) SSP I + II + II + IV + PRR
The SynthStudio Packs include various VST instrument and effect plug-ins for Windows PC.
One of the things I want to do with this site is to share some of the tools I use to create music. If you are an Ableton Live user, this post is for you.
I created this synth using a sample of my laptops speakers belting out a screeching feedback from the internal microphone. As unpleasant as the sample itself sounds, it makes for a pretty atmospheric and dreamy sounding synth.
The Laptop Feedback instrument rack for Ableton Live is available to download from AfroDjMac.
Visit: AfroDjMac Laptop Feedback
http://MUTOOLS.com : MU.LAB is an alternative, hi-quality music application for Mac OSX and Windows, transforming your computer into a complete music studio!
MU.LAB does not overwhelm you with a complex feature set, in which you can get lost.
On the contrary, MU.LAB is a user-friendly yet rock-solid musical tool designed to create, finetune and play Your Music!
Twisted Tools have released Jedsound Twisted FX, a free collection of sounds by sound designer Jean-Edouard Miclot.
Here’s what they have to say about the free sample library:
It isn’t everday you can get your hands on unique and properly recorded field recordings, sound effects and foley sounds, so grab ‘em while they’re hot and feed them into your favorite Twisted Tools device!
To get you inspired, we’ve even added a bank of fx presets that make use of these sounds in Scapes.
It’s available now as a free download.
Sound Categories: Rubber Balloon, Elastic, Groan Tube, Slide Whistle, Putty Noise, Whoopee Cushion, Sound Pipe, Dog toy, scienti?c toy, Springs, Slinky, Laser, Magnets, Bell, Wind chime, Plane, Train, Jackhammer, Wrench, Digital Camera, Vacuum Cleaner, Underwater Metal Dings, Underwater Singing Glass Rings, Underwater Sprays, Statics, Electromagnetic Fields, Motors, Servos, Electric Shaver, Faulty Light Bulb, Wolf, Moose, Crows, Dogs, Cricket, Bumblebee, Flies, Door, Chair, Rock, Dumpster, Ice cracks, Whooshes, Dings, Squeals, Squeaks.
Frinika is a free (licensed under GNU GPL) complete music workstation software containing sequencer, midi support, soft synthesizers, audio recorder, piano roll/tracker/notation editing and more. The goal of Frinika is to be a complete platform for making music with your computer, using the versatile Java platform to be able to run on several operating systems, and being open source to be able to embrace the best open source technology being available at any time.
Arracis Gold Free – http://www.vstplanet.com/News/2011/ArracisGold_Free.htm
Xhip Effects R2, an updated version of the free effects bundle for Windows, is now available.
These effect plugins were originally created for use with Xhip, the “xxx-xated xound xource”. The effects were implemented as external plugins, though, for greater versatility.
New in R2:
- mDelay parameters are smoothed.
- Limiter has activity/clipping LEDs added.
- Small graphical changes, bg color adjusted, shaded slider.
- Several small bugs fixed.
Pricing and Availability
Xhip effects R2 for Windows (VST) are available now as a free download.
The scrooo is a VST™2.4 polyphonic software synthesizer plug-in for Microsoft Windows® based on a spectral formant synthesis architecture and written in native C++ code for high performance. Main features are:
- Up to 32 voices polyphony including portamento
- Two band-limited carrier oscillators
- Three fully independent formant generator sections
- Three formant generation modes
- Two amplifiers with volume and panorama control
- Three envelopes (ADSR) with exponential slopes
- Three low frequency oscillators (LFOs) with tempo synchronization
Soundhack’s Tom Erbe has released new versions of all of his plugins for Mac, in Audio Unit and VST forms.
The free plugins include:
- +spectralcompand – Performs smooth timbral filtering. Can be used to tame resonant frequencies or for radical changes of tone. In expansion mode, +spectralcompand becomes a highly tunable broadband noise remover, capable of removing hiss, hum and machine noise, without damaging the original sound.
- +morphfilter – Holds two filter shapes. These shapes are set by drawing, or by capturing the spectra from the incoming sound. You can morph between these two filters. +morphfilter’s depth control can change the strength of filtering, or even invert the filter for an “anti-filtered” sound.
- +binaural – This filter places a sound at a specific position around the listener’s head. Use it with a reverb to create a virtual environment. When used with it’s LFO, +binaural can place various beats or parts of a loop in specific repeatable positions.
- +spectralgate – A spectral version of the noise gate/ducker dynamics processor. Combines a noise gate/ducker and a multiband processor to give you a plugin that can used both as a frequency dependent gate or as a level dependent filter.
- SoundHack Delay Trio – a group of three plugins derived from the same basic delay algorithm: a hermite interpolated delay line with variable modulation, and a feedback loop with dc blocking and saturation. Pitch shifting is achieved with a dual head crossfading delay (ala Eltro Tempophon/Dennis Gabor/Pierre Schaeffer phonogene) and is decidedly low-?. The saturating feedback also allows them to be great drone and noise generators.
- +chebyshev - a distortion unit which uses various low-order chebyshev polynomials to add even or odd harmonic distortion.
- +compand – a combined compressor/expander plugin. It has a softknee control as well as a switchable rms/peak level detector.
- +decimate – bit depth and sample rate reduction for added aliasing and decimation noise. a very noisy plugin.
- +matrix – a mid-side to left-right encoder and decoder. for mid-side microphone arrays, but also useful when needing to apply effects to only the center or the sides of a stereo mix.
- +phasescope – the standard studio tool for seeing the phase relation between your left and right channels. also includes a bit meter.