Cakewalk has announced the PC4K S-Type Channel Compressor Module for SONAR X1 Producer Expanded customers. Here’s how Cakewalk describes the new module in their own words…
The PC4K S-Type Channel Compressor Module, like all the SONAR X1 Producer ProChannel modules, is expertly-crafted by the Cakewalk DSP team to provide the sound and experience of using the legendary hardware it’s based on. The PC4K S-Type Channel Compressor, with its gentle, soft-knee characteristics is well suited for compressing and leveling sustained material on any backing track. Flexible drag and drop routing and manual output gain control lends a modern twist to an old classic. The PC4K S-Type Channel Compressor is a complimentary addition to the well thought out collection of ProChannel module effects designed to elevate any music production.
When coupled with the included PC4K S-Type Bus Compressor, the included ProChannel EQ (set to Vintage), and the optional PC4K S-Type Expander/Gate, the new PC4K S-Type Channel Compressor provides full emulation of classic, large-format, mixing consoles used by professional engineers to make hit records for over a quarter century.
SONAR X1 Producer Expanded
SONAR X1 Producer Expanded delivers fully modular capability to the ProChannel and is required to use PC4K S-Type Channel Compressor module.
SONAR X1 Producer’s ProChannel console strip already provides a number of options to get pro-studio sound in the box with its highly musical EQ, PC76 U-Type/classic FET and PC4K S-Type bus compressors, tube saturation, and flexible drag & drop routing. ProChannel strips can be customized to have any combination of installed modules available on any channel and favorite combinations can be set as default for tracks and busses.
Pricing and Availability:
SONAR X1 Producer Expanded customers can purchase PC4K S-Type Compressor download for $49/£35 /€39 (vat inclusive) from the Cakewalk store. SONAR X1 Producer customers can purchase the PC4K S-Type Compressor with SONAR X1 Producer Expanded update downloads together for $79/€69/£59 (vat inclusive) on the Cakewalk store.
Voxengo has released version 2.7 of Crunchessor, a general-purpose track compressor for Windows and Mac.
One of Crunchessor’s main advantages is the ease of tuning, which at the same time instantly delivers an excellent sonic performance. Another remarkable feature of Crunchessor is its valve-type processing, which is applied in parallel to compression. This makes Crunchessor an ideal choice for musicians and producers who are fond of analog compression sound and its warmness.
Changes in Crunchessor v2.7
- Additional automation parameters added for channel group 2.
- Key signal gain parameter added.
- Plug-in’s popup-windows now recover last position after reopening.
- Mouse backward and forward buttons can be used for parameter value selection.
- The “Min Infrastructure” user interface display mode added.
- The “Flat Level Meters” level meter display mode added.
- Version change history information window added.
Crunchessor is available to purchase as an effect plug-in for Windows and Mac (VST/AU), priced at $44.95 USD (10% off the regular $49.95 USD).
Parallel compression is also known as New York compression, and is a very popular technique for getting drums louder whilst retaining most of the energy of the original envelope.
Basically, what you do is mix two versions of the drum track together – one track being treated with quite severe compression, and the other being uncompressed. The compressed track brings up the ‘oomph’ whilst the original ensures that the dynamic interest of the beat is maintained.
Of course, this technique is not exclusively for drums – it can be very effective on vocals too, or any other instrument that needs to be tightly controlled.
Here is an example of parallel compression that I have used:
Put a compressor on a return track in Ableton (or any other DAW)
Make sure you use a compressor that can be set to 100% wet and has a ‘look ahead’ feature
put the threshold deep, like -50 db
Ratio about 2:1 – 2.5:1
Attack as fast as possible 1ms or faster
Release set to 250ms-350ms
Now you can mix in your compression on any track you want to beef up using your sends without affecting the original signal. It’s like the best of both worlds, a combination of compressed and uncompressed signal. This way you get the transients of your uncompressed sounds (the peak you see on a snare or kick drum for example).
The transients give your sound bite and helps things stick out better in your mix. The compression gives your sounds more body and more punch and brings out hidden frequencies for a fuller sound. If you don’t want to use a return track, you can simply copy your track and apply these compression settings on the copy and then mix to taste. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes for you.
In addition to the lgendary vintage character sound, the Vintage Compressors have been updated with a sidechain input, for the well-known ‘pumping’ sound of modern club music. The VC 76, VC 2A and VC 160 are painstakingly accurate emulations of three of the most heavily-used compressors in studio history. Each has its own unmistakable sound, and thanks to added sidechaining and parallel compression.
Each of the three compressors has its own unique character and specific advantages:
- VC 76: Workhorse compressor with a fast attack. Great presence, punchy, clear high end. Good for drums, vocals or stereo limiting.
Find out more…
- VC 2A: Smooth compressor with a silky, natural sound. Great on vocals, bass, pads and guitar.
Find out more…
- VC 160: Classic compressor for added attack and a subtle drive. Especially good on kickdrum, snare, bass or guitar.
Find out more…
PSP oldTimer is a vintage-style compressor designed for track and program compression and limiting. Our goal in developing this plug-in is to provide a simple compressor that offers an exceptionally musical sound while requiring a minimum of tweaking. This plug-in is not based on any specific hardware, rather it is inspired by vintage circuits and is designed to emulate some favorite characteristics of such compressors.
PSP oldTimer is so simple and so easy to use, that it’s difficult to make it sound bad even at extreme settings!
This compressor offers soft and smooth compression in most applications, however it may slightly color the sound with its tube emulation on transients when heavily driven internally by high Compression values.
- High quality signal processing algorithms
- All internal processing done with 64 bit double precision floats.
- 32 and 64 bit floating point audio streams supported
- ZERO samples OF latency
- Up to 192kHz sample rates supported
- X64 support for Windows systems
- Library of presets
“GTS-39 has been developed by measuring and testing a very old limiting tube compressor with a great vintage sound.”
- mono/stereo or dual mono modes (dual mono enhances stereo image)
- additional “hold” control for envelope shaping
- 8x oversampling for nice saturation
- internal sidechain equalizer (enhance compression on bass frequencies)
- simple 3D interface
- from transparent limiting to extreme compression and creative distortion
- full and rich sound
Price: 19.99$ (introductory price, normal price: $29.99)
DMGAudio has sent us a little sneak preview of their latest plug-in called “Compassion.” Judging from the name and and images showing off the various parameters, it appears to be a compressor of some kind.
Check out their official Dev blog for updates as they happen at http://blog.dmgaudio.com/
Cytomic has released version 1.1.4 of The Glue , a compressor effect plug-in for Windows and Mac. The Glue is a high quality analog modeled plug-in based on The classic 80′s British big console buss compressor with some additional features. It uses the same high quality algorithms used in circuit simulation packages but optimised for real time use
Cytomic has released version 1.1.4 of The Glue, a compressor effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
The Glue is a high quality analog modeled plug-in based on The classic 80′s British big console buss compressor with some additional features. It uses the same high quality algorithms used in circuit simulation packages but optimised for real time use. It’s quick and easy to use and has an uncluttered interface.
Changes in The Glue v1.1.4
- New feature: smoothed Threshold, Makeup, Range, Mix, and Sidechain HP controls so no pops, clicks, or zipper noise when adjusted from gui or automated.
- Recent feature: linear phase high quality oversampling to support up to 12 MHz (x256) – note that x2 is recommended for Realtime and x8 is recommended for Render.
- Recent feature: next and previous preset buttons.
- Fixed: removed CPU spikes when drawing the graphical user interface on Mac.
- Fixed: removed CPU spikes on first play, and when switching oversampling amounts.
- Fixed: preset menu not showing with some hosts on PPC.
- Fixed: reduced memory footprint with large oversampling amounts with large host buffer sizes.
- Known issue: you cannot use both the AU and VST version at the same time in hosts that support both (eg: Ableton Live or Studio One).
The Glue is available to purchase for $99 USD. The update is free to all customers.
More information: Cytomic
Voxformer is a multi-functional vocal channel strip plug-in for professional audio applications. Combining several professional quality processing modules, Voxformer was designed to be a comprehensive solution for all your vocal processing needs – be it spoken or sung vocals.
The coolest feature of Voxformer is its one-knob vocal compressor. Using only a single knob, you can get a tight, open and definitive professional vocal sound with an excellent articulation in no time. You do not have to worry about common ratio and make-up gain controls since they are automatically selected by the advanced compression algorithm while attack and release parameters are stored in a mode preset. Moreover, Voxformer features two compressors of this type, allowing you to apply either a two-band or a two-stage (serial) vocal compression.
Voxformer also features the de-esser with selectable center frequency and threshold. Multi-band noise gate is available, which, in a manner similar to the compressor, was designed to bring ease of tuning while providing excellent sonic results. For those who like a saturated vocal sound, Voxformer implements a special module which applies a smooth saturation. Another useful feature Voxformer has to offer is the presence boosting module, which you can use to add some shine and space to the vocals.
As a finishing touch, Voxformer offers you a flexible easy-handling 5-band parametric equalizer (pre/post selectable) with a real-time output stage fast Fourier transform (FFT) spectrum analyzer display. In most cases Voxformer can be used for processing of a wide range of instruments beside vocals.
* Vocal track compressor
* Instrumental track compressor
* Track equalizer
* Presence booster
* Track saturator
* Noise (de-breath) gate
* Channel strip
* Stereo, mid-side, 5.1 processor
Changes in Voxformer v2.5
* The “Show All Channel Meters” routing switch added.
* Additional visual look variation settings added.
* Knobs in the compressor mode editor can now be linked with the Ctrl key.
* Smooth filter automation implemented.
* “Filled Spectrum” spectrum display mode switch added.
* Oversampling filter type “Min-phase/Lin-phase” switch added.
* Global “Auto Oversampling Level” 1X (off) option added.
* Control surface crosshair option added (can be switched off in the global options).
* De-esser pre-post compressor position switch added.
Vladislav Goncharov’s Molot is a freeware compressor VST for Windows (both 32-bit and 64-bit) that features an GUI modeled on vintage Soviet audio equipment.
Main features of Molot:
- Aggressive hammering sound.
- Suits for rock drums and bass.
- Can be used on tracks and busses.
- Very clean sound.
- Switchable sigmoid attack curve.
- Smooth saturation.
- Mid-scoop EQ for simple tonal balance fix.
- Built-in limiter for peaks suppressing.
- Almost zero latency (2 samples).
- Up to 8x oversampling.
- USSR military style GUI.
- Switchable language EN/RU.