Watch the world premiere of the SH-101 Plug-Out Software Synth as David Ålhund (Roland Expert, V-Topia, NUDE, Tweeky) demonstrates the new software synth running on the new Aira System-1 synth, giving the attendees an exclusive first look at this new Roland hardware and software. He also delivered his signature performance with the Aira TR8, TB3 and VT3 and answered some questions from the audience.
System-1 Plug-Out Synth - http://www.roland.co.uk/products/prod…
Roland has introduced the SH-101 PLUG-OUT, a software synthesizer for the SYSTEM-1.
The SH-101 PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer is a complete reproduction of the iconic SH-101 – right down to the fine details and odd quirks that make it one of the most popular classic synthesizers of all time.
Based on Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology, it not only reproduces the SH-101’s legendary sounds, but faithfully recreates the very behavior of its analog circuitry – all with a level of authenticity that could only come from the company that created the original.
SH-101 PLUG OUT features
- Total authenticity through face-to-face consultation with the original designers and relentless research beyond the original schematics.
- Meticulously recreated oscillator and filter behavior – hallmarks of the SH-101 sound.
- Authentic behaviors including the unique interaction between low pass filter and envelope controls.
- Faithfully reproduces the unstable fluctuations that resulted from quirks in the SH-101’s circuitry.
- Classic SH-101 synth sounds – bass, lead, noise, and sound effects.
- Software layout features standard gray model, as well as red and blue models originally sold as limited editions.
- Two envelope sections allow different settings for VCF and VCA while maintaining the option of classic SH-101 envelope behavior.
- Reverb, chorus, delay and crusher effects that were not included in the original.
- Run as many instances as your computer can handle.
- Use SYSTEM-1 as a dedicated USB keyboard controller with lighted knobs and sliders that show only available parameters.
- PLUG-OUT with SYSTEM-1 lets you take an authentic SH-101 wherever you go, from mobile production to live performance.
- Transfer sounds between SYSTEM-1 and SH-101 with PLUG-OUT.
- Supports Macintosh and Windows, and AU and VSTi formats.
The SH-101 PLUG-OUT synthesizer will be available to SYSTEM-1 users on July 24th, 2014.
Reveal Sound has released version 1.0.16 of Spire, a software synthesizer instrument for Windows and Mac.
Spire is a software polyphonic synthesizer that combines powerful sound engine modulation and flexible architecture, a graphical interface provides unparalleled usability. Spire is the embodiment of the best opportunities, both software and hardware synthesizers.
Changes in Spire v1.0.16
- Improve stability.
- Fixed: Factory banks install under MacOS.
- Fixed: Reset controls on opening window.
- Add: MacOS uninstall script.
- Add: Allow multiple preset select on load.
- New presets by Function Loops in Factory bank 5.
Spire for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available for purchase for 139 EUR / $189 USD.
Ichiro Toda has released new beta versions of the freeware Synth1 plug-in for Windows and Mac OS X.
The Windows v1.13 Beta 1 release adds a 64-bit VST version whilst the Mac v1.13 Beta 7 release adds an Audio Unit version (32-bit only for now).
Changes in Windows v1.13 beta1:
- 64-bit version is available.
- VST version up to 2.4 (both 32-bit & 64-bit). There is no change to the previous version in functionality.
- Bug Fix: Fixed a problem that occurred is petit noise on MusicMaker.
Madrona Labs has released Kaivo, a semi-modular software synthesizer that combines two ways of making sound: granular synthesis and physical modeling.
Developer Randy Jones says:
“Today we release Kaivo, our new software synthesizer. ‘Kaivo’ is Finnish for ‘well,’ as in, a deep well of sounds, and I’ve been working on deepening that well over the last month or so. Kaivo’s models include metal, nylon and gut strings, different sizes of chimes and springs (yes, springs), wooden instrument bodies, membranes and metal plates. ”
Kaivo brings ‘some of the latest academic research in physical modeling to a patchable package for the first time.’ Mathematically speaking, its finite difference time domain (FDTD) models let the player affect the internal vibrations inside the instrument at any point. This allows for a fine degree of realistic detail, like the bridge rattles on a “gut string” model, for example. Developers say Kaivo is also designed to apply this subtlety to more abstract creations.
Every time a model is triggered, it makes a slightly different sound due to the initial conditions when the sound starts. This subtle variety can quickly give a very lifelike quality to sounds that would be tedious to recreate with sampling. Kaivo has eight different types of tuned resonators, including strings, chimes and springs, each with its own complex response to sound. As for instrument bodies, there are four, including two wooden body models, a metal plate, and a frame drum—all true 2D models.
Best Service has released MEIKO V3. Here’s all the details in their own words…
MEIKO V3 is futuristic singing voice synthesizer software. It is the brand-new version of Cryptons first released Vocaloid. The new MEIKO V3 features a beautiful female voice that fits a wide range of music genres from rock to electronic music. With its high sound quality and resemblance of a real voice the software lets you incorporate MEIKOs voice immediately into your music production.
MEIKO V3 features 4 carefully produced Japanese voice banks with various voice tones and moods, and an additional English voice bank for your production with English lyrics.
This all-in-one package includes vocal editor Piapro Studio VSTi, PreSonus Studio One Artist Piapro Edition, and over 200 virtual instruments for your immediate music production.
Easily edit Vocals in your music production environment
A vocal editor that allows you to easily operate and modify Meiko´s voice, Piapro Studio works as a VSTi and AU plugin, and therefore performs at a high compatibility with main music production applications (PreSonus Studio One, Ableton Live, Steinberg Cubase, Apple LogicX, Garage Band etc.).
Database (Voice Bank)
The database is based on a human voice, carefully recorded in a high-standard studio environment. Every sound was edited and optimized for the VOCALOID engine in order to create this database. With parameters such as gender factor or brightness, you are able to modify the voice and customize it to exactly fit your sound.
- Supported VSTi / AU plugin by all main music software applications
- Piano Roll Editor: Easy to use note & lyric editing. Enter the notes you want Meiko to sing via the easy-to-use sequencer window, then type in the lyrics corresponding to each note
- Control Effects via Automation: Dynamics, breath, velocity, gender and other vocal characteristics can be manipulated simply with a pencil tool
- Vocal parts editable while playback
- Chorus: You can add up to 15 voice tracks simultaneously
- Leads VSQ, VSQX, MIDI
- Import MIDI Files as Input: You can import a standard MIDI file and use the notes as the basis for Vocaloid tracks
- Save/Export Vocal Parts as .wav files
- Interface Language: Japanese, English, Chinese
- Display of multiple Automation Tracks
- Automatic Update (requires Internet Connection)
MEIKO V3 comes in an all-in-one package for your own music production of songs! The product contains MEIKOs English and Japanese singing voice database, vocal editor Piapro Studio and the music production application Studio One Artist Piapro Edition coming with over 200 virtual instruments (guitar, piano, drums, and various other synthesizers). All applications can be synched with each other which enables you to easily produce whole musical compositions.
With Studio One Artist, you can not only create rhythms and melodies, but also add all kinds of effects on Meikos voice! The softwares intuitive operation interface allows easy editing, mixing and mastering of your musical creations.
PreSonus Virtual Instruments & Sounds
Studio One Artist Piapro Edition comes with over 200 instruments, enabling your creativity to explore and compose for a wide range of music genres. [Instruments] Guitar / Bass / Keyboard / Drum / Strings / Woodwind / Percussion and more!
Additional Software included:
- Tiny VOCALOID™3 Editor (for Windows only)
- MUTANT VSTi Version (for Windows only)
- SONICWIRE Bonus Samples
Pricing and Availability:
£125 / €149
Analog Four OS 1.1. has finally arrived! This is a major OS upgrade, adding polyphony, resonance boost, MIDI multi map. Oh yeah, it also unlocks the pre-installed +Drive of all units. Head on over to http://elektron.se/support-and-downloads and upgrade today!
The Analog Four is a four voice polyphonic analog synthesizer. Analog oscillators and filters ensure the most organic sounds imaginable and the Elektron step sequencer caters for the innovative sound control. With sequencer features like parameter locks and variable length per track, intricate Analog Four compositions can be created quickly and efficiently. Add the completely new and incredibly well-crafted effects to the mix and experience the next chapter in analog sounds.
Elektron released OS 1.1 for Analog Four and Analog Keys adding polyphonic functions and increased strorage using +Drive. Here’s my demonstration of some new (slightly altered) factory sounds.
de la Mancha is continuing to put synths that were previously available for purchase online as free downloads. The latest is a monophonic synth, basic 65, inspired by the classic 80s home computer, the Commodore 64 and its legendary SID chip. Building on the waveforms and signal path of this famous chip, basic 65 adds further features and options to take things a step further. Here’s more details:
The double arpeggiator allows complex versions of that retro 8-bit game sound and the modulation options inspire experimentation via the mod envelope and 2 comprehensive LFOs. Pulse width modulation, ring modulation and oscillator detune/sync are key ingredients in the signature sound. Throw in some pitch drift, bit drift, a sprinkle of dirt and randomisation and you have a wide range of lofi, chiptune, retro-tastic sounds at your disposal.
This version is the update to the popular basic 64, redesigned from scratch, with many improvements, new features and all new presets. basic 65 was co-developed with sink, who also made the amazing presets.
- Monophonic synth in VST format for Windows based hosts
- 3 oscillators with pulse, saw, triangle and noise waveforms
- Pulse width can be modulated by envelope or both LFOs
- Each oscillator can be sync’d to another and/or ring modulated by another
- Each oscillator has its own ADSR envelope and can be routed to filter individually
- Resonant filter with low pass, high pass, band pass and notch modes
- 2 tempo-sync Arpeggiators in series for complex arp sounds
- Arp tempo, range and note length can be adjusted
- Modulation envelope can control pulse width and pitch of individual oscillators as well as filter and dirt
- 2 tempo-sync LFOs with wide range of waveforms, including random
- Both LFOs can control pulse width and pitch of individual oscillators
- One LFO also controls filter and dirt, the other can modulate the depth and speed of the first LFO
- Envelopes are non-linear and can be retriggered from zero or smoothed on each new note
- Pitch drift models instability with variable depth and frequency
- Options for 4, 6, 8, 12 or 16 bit audio with randomising feature
- Developed with SE 1.1, so no problems with multiple instances
- 128 presets by sink covering arps, leads, bass, drums and lofi sounds
Pricing and Availability:
basic65 VSTi for Windows used to be a payware plugin, but is now free to download. However, if you like and use any de la Mancha plugins, please consider donating to Cancer Research UK in order to help care for and find a cure for cancer sufferers.
Apollo MIDI over Bluetooth provides MIDI connections for controllers, synthesizers, and sequencers, connecting a pair of iOS devices, or an iOS device and a Mac.
The Mac version of Apollo should be available shortly.
We are waiting for approval from Apple for the OSX version (which will be free). In the mean time, you can download this version. Once the OSX version is released, we would encourage you to download the one from the Mac app store (this will make updating the app much easier).
Connecting synthesizers and sequencers across multiple iOS devices has been challenging, and there have been few options. For wired connections, you need multiple MIDI adapters (either dedicated iOS devices, or a Camera Connection Kit and generic USB MIDI). WiFi MIDI can have too much latency and jitter, making it unusable for music applications.
With Apollo MIDI over Bluetooth, you can easily connect a pair of iOS devices, or an iOS device and a Mac, using Bluetooth LE. Bluetooth LE is designed for low latency — ideal for music applications.
Simply start the app on each device, select an “A” endpoint for one, and a “B” endpoint for the other, and then press search on both devices. They should detect each other, and connect quickly. Once they are connected, MIDI from one device will be sent to the other — the connection is bi-directional. On each device, you can select the MIDI destinations that you wish to forward messages to.
When connecting to a Mac, select the “A” endpoint for the iOS device; the Mac will be a “B” endpoint. Just as with the iOS set-up, press search on both devices, and they should connect quickly. With MIDI routing on a Mac, there is a danger of creating a loop in the routing (where MIDI messages get sent and relayed repeatedly). To avoid this problem, Apollo on the Mac either sends MIDI from iOS to the Mac, or vice versa — make sure that you toggle on the direction you need.
The apps require Bluetooth LE — this is available on the iPad3, iPad4, iPad Air, and iPad Mini. iPhones starting with the iPhone4S support Bluetooth LE. Newer Macs also support Bluetooth LE; older Macs may require a USB Bluetooth LE adapter (we have had good luck with the adapters from IO Gear and Ciraco).
Apollo has been designed to be simple to install and configure, and it should expand your MIDI capabilities easily.
BFD3 is the third generation of FXpansion’s flagship software acoustic drum studio: new levels of realism and ground-breaking features in an intuitive redesigned engine, here’s what they have to say about it:
With stunning new kits with mix-ready presets and modelling technology for tom resonance and cymbal swells, BFD3′s audio engine delivers uncompromising detail while using lossless compression for efficiency. The revamped interface has a new mixer and sound browser for the easiest BFD experience yet.
BFD3′s kits were recorded at two world-class studios with varied recording chains and room ambience making a huge amount of sounds possible. The library includes expressive articulations, a brushed kit and processed drum presets for fast custom kit-building. BFD3 also contains a powerful built-in environment for pattern creation and editing, complete with a range of performances by legendary drummers for effortless production of drum tracks indistinguishable from the real thing.
Availability & Pricing
BFD3 is available on a USB 2.0 flash drive or as a download product from the FXpansion web shop as well as through our international dealer partners.
Pricing is USD $349.00, EUR €269.00, GBP £229.00.
BFD3 Upgrade is available for all registered BFD2 owners for USD $199.00, EUR €155.00, GBP £129.00 for the USB flash drive version and USD $149, EUR €115, GBP £99 for the download version.
All prices are inclusive of VAT where applicable.