Pekka Kauppila has released a new beta version of MauSynth, a free polyphonic synthesizer plug-in for Windows.
MauSynth is a basic subtractive synthesizer with emphasis on high sound quality and friendly interface.
The plugin is written in c++. It is currently in beta stage, feedback is welcome. MauSynth will stay free even after beta.
Changes in the new beta version
- Improved oscillators.
- Improved filter.
- Improved GUI.
- Aftertouch support.
- Adjustable velocity sensitivity.
- Improved legato mode.
The MauSynth beta is available to download as a VST instrument plug-in for Windows.
Xenakios has released a free granular effects processor for Windows, HourGlass:
HourGlass is a standalone application intended for radical sound processing by taking fragments (more commonly referred to as “grains” in other similar software) from sound recordings, to create sound textures. It is not intended for minor transparent corrections of playback speed or pitch, but is rather placed firmly in the sound mangling/glitch territory.
A Mac version is also in the works. Download HourGlass at the Xenakios blog.
Sound Magic has released Neo Harmonic, an equalizer/exciter hybrid effect plug-in for Windows featuring a custom shaped filter response curve.
There’s an EQ theory called “Yin and Yang” which says that adjusting one band will automatically influence the others. Neo Harmonic takes this theory to a new level by not only boosting/cutting the selected frequency, but also exciting the harmonic partials of that frequency, extending changes throughout the whole audible frequency band. The result is a unique sound which traditional parametric EQs would be hard pressed to achieve.
Neo Harmonic will give you a fuller sound, with more detail and clarity than is possible with a traditional parametric EQ.
Neo Harmonic features
- Innovative Harmonic Excite Technology.
- Innovative Custom Curve Shape enables users the define their own harmonic curve to achieve unique sound.
- Super Wide Bandwith adjusting range gives users more controls on final sound.
- Sample and hold fuction enables users to analyze an audio signal first, then hold its harmonic information and apply to another audio track.
- Up to 32Bit/384KHz resolution.
Neo Harmonic for Windows (VST/Supreme Piano 2 add-on) is available to purchase for 49 EUR.
Mark Holt has released Expresso, a free distortion effect plug-in for Windows.
My first ever release of a VST effect. Made in Synthmaker v2.0, so, sorry, no Mac version.
Most of the modules are my own (rather simple) code rather than stock modules. I’ve been using it a lot and thought I should give something back to a community that’s given me a lot over the years.
The first knob is called offset and this adds DC offset to the input signal (the mod LED below changes the direction of offset). The next knob is labelled fold and adds some fold back distortion. The next knobs are sat (saturation), feed (feedback – the mod LED changes the signal slightly), delay (for the feedback), HPF (high pass filter), H-REZ (high pass resonance), LPF (low pass filter), clip (hard distortion), followed by a dry/wet control and finally gain (for output). The feedback path actually goes after the clip module and re-enters before the fold back distortion stage, so maybe a future update will change the knob order to reflect this (it’s like it is for chronological reasons). Beware that on settings where all settings are high that you will get proper high squealing feedback. I’ve kept that as a feature and the tone can be changed with the delay knob when it appears.
ToneBytes has announced Bleep’, a free synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Bleep’ — is a free VSTi synthesizer plug-in for Windows which inspired by the sound of MOS Technology SID. At the same time Bleep’ is not emulator of this chipset but only partially similar to its architecture.
- 3 oscillators with four waveforms: sawtooth, triangle, pulse (with PW) and noise.
- Each oscillator has own detuner, ADSR envelope and multimode LP/BP/HP filter.
- Multimode LFO synced with BPM.
- Modulator Envelope Generator.
- Pseudo arpeggiator.
- Overall multimode filter.
- Built-in preset manager with ability to patch name editing.
- VST automation and full MIDI Learning are supported.
Bleep’ is available to download as a freeware VST instrument plug-in for Windows PC.
Sound Magic has announced Neo MasteringQ, an effect plug-in for Windows.
Based on Sound Magic’s Neo EQ technology, Neo MasteringQ is a revolutionary concept in equalizer technology.
Totally different from traditional EQ, Neo MasteringQ is able to automatically detect and lock in the most audible/sensitive frequency. This makes the whole EQ process much easier than traditional EQ methods – much more efficient and effective than traditional parametric EQ. In addition, Neo MasteringQ also has many special “weapons” designed for mastering EQ processing.
Mastering Engineers often think it would be perfect if an EQ curve could change as the RMS or peak level changes. With a lot of time and a super precise frequency control, this could be done within the traditional realm. However, with Neo MasteringQ, this process is a whole lot easier. Neo MasteringQ provides a 16 Stage, 32 User Preset Changing Curve for each slider. You can achieve a different boost or cut amount as your dynamics change, giving you meticulous timbre control which will add great depth to your music.
Neo MasteringQ features
- Innovative pitch detection algorithm special for mastering and multi-instrument mixing, can lock up the right frequency even when there was a lot instruments mixes together.
- 4 pitch detecters focus on bass, basic frequency and harmonic.
- Innovative Auto Distortion Correction Peaking Filter Technology brings lowest distortion rate ever.
- Artificial Intelligence Assisted Bandwidth control based on the behavior modeling on over 70 mastering engineers, included frequency furthering.
- Sample and hold function enables users to analyze an audio signal first, then hold its harmonic information and apply to another audio track.
- Different plug-in version to fit for usage on M/S, Sidechain, Mono.
- Up to 32Bit/384KHz resolution.
Neo MasteringQ for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for 69 EUR. A bundle with Neo EQ is 99 EUR.
MaxSynths has announced the release of Latte, a virtual synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Latte is inspired by the old synthesizers from the past and is able to produce powerful synth sounds, fat basses, expressive leads, crazy sounds and more.
Despite the synth layout looks very simple the modulation options allows to shape the sound in a lot of different ways. One of the most interesting features is the possibility to use the polyphonic aftertouch as a modulation source to create the typical expressive sounds which has been a trademark for the well known synth gurus of the past.
The Saw/Pulse oscillator of Latte, characterized by a powerful and warm sound, has been created specially with the aim to recreate a realistic vintage sound.
- 2 Oscillators with custom Saw and Pulse waveforms and noise generator (White and Pink noise).
- 12dB Low Pass/High Pass state variable filter.
- 2 LFOs with assignable destinations.
- Assignable envelope generator.
- Extensive options for external modulation with routable Channel or Poly Aftertouch.
- FX section with Chorus and Delay.
- 16 voice polyphonic.
- Low CPU usage.
Latte for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for 19.90 EUR. A free version (limited to 4 voice polyphony) is available to download.
TubeOhm say that they are offering a big “thank you” to all TubeOhm users for their support for the 5 last years and hope that they have had a good time with their Instruments.
Available now is Alpha-Ray, a VA synth that includes special TubeOhm features. The full version is free but saving the settings is disabled. Unlocking the effects unit costs 4.95 €.
- 2 main and 1 sub-oscillator / 10 Voices polyphony.
- 2 main and 1 mod LFO (Pitch wheel), tempo host sync and phase sync.
- 3 filters, a 6 dB HP , a 24 dB ladder and a main 12 dB state veriable filter. The 6dB filter coupled to the main filter gives a BP filter.
- OSC FM with OSC 1+2 and OSC SYNC with OSC 1+2.
- Polyphonic overdrive for OSC 1,2 and sub osc.
- Auto Portamento mode. Activates the portamento when 2 keys are played in mono mode.
- Aftertouch for enhanced modulation for the filter and the pitch modulation.
- User manual in 4 languages (German, English, French and Italian).
Additionally, unlocking Alpha-Ray enables saving the effects settings per patch:
- 2-stage overdrive.
- 3-stage chorus.
- Delay ‘x’ and ‘ normal mode, tempo sync to host.
- Special reverb, delay cluster, normal reverb, oil tank effect.
Pricing and Availability:
Free, but unlocking the effects unit costs 4.95 €
Sound Magic has introduced The One– a new effect for Windows described as “the easiest and the most convenient way for musicians to process their recordings.”
The One features several options to choose from and only a single knob to implement them – that’s it. There’s no confusing technical terminology. You choose your goal and spin the single dial to get the desired result.
Here’s what Sound Magic has to say about The One:
At first glance, it might seem that this is some lightweight tone control or simply some cobbled together processors. But behind this simple knob are years of research from many pro engineers, taking some complex algorithms and effects chains and putting them at your fingertips.
Sound Magic has summed up thousands of individual mixing pathways, modeled them, developed several universal algorithms, then translated them into the language of musician. You won’t find any complicated technical terms when using The One. Instead, Sound Magic has used words like “wetter”, “brighter”, “stronger” and so on.
There’s nothing lightweight or cobbled together here either. This is cutting edge programming utilizing artificial intelligence to make controlling the cleanest digital processors available as simple and as intuitive as possible.
Here are some of the things that The One can do for your recordings:
- Wetter: Move your recording from a dry sound to a larger space, adding both depth and atmosphere to it. Change your recording from a single point sound to a full 3D space.
- Stronger: Here The One uses an artificial intelligence compressor which adds more power to your recording, strengthening it, and emphasizing its imaging and details.
- Brighter: This adds brightness to your treble – intelligently. It is perfect for brightening your tracks and allows them to cut through a mix.
- Thicker: The One includes a bass booster that easily and quickly adds bottom to your music. Enhance your bass instruments and thicken them in the mix.
- Crystallizer: Choose this option, spin the single dial and make your recordings sound sharper and crisper. It will also enhance the impact of the sound, giving your recordings a professionally recorded sound.
- One Knob to control ALL
- Internal 64Bit Floating Point Precision
- Different plug-in version to fit for usage on Mono and Surround
- Up to 32Bit/384KHz resolution
The one is priced at 69 EUR and is available now.
MOTO today introduced Digital Performer 8.
The biggest DP news from the show is that version 8 now supports Windows. MOTU also debuted some other significant new features, including a new video playback engine, Punch Guard confidence recording, 14 new user interface themes, and 15 new included plug-ins. DP8 will operate in 32-bit or 64-bit mode on Mac OS X and Windows 7. On Windows, it will support VST plug-ins and Rewire.
Here’s what’s new in DP 8:
- Punch Guard records an extra four seconds of audio before and after record passes, allowing users to edge-edit in/out points to “uncover” audio material accidentally cut off during recording. DP8’s new video engine allows full- screen viewing of full 720 or 1080 HD video clips on a primary or secondary computer monitor, or on a conventional HDMI or SDI video monitor connected to a MOTU video interface such as the HD Express or HDX-SDI.
- Digital Performer’s Themes allow users to change the entire look of the software with one click. DP8 adds 14 new themes, including “Hi-Fi”, “Arctic”, and “None More Black”.
- MOTU demonstrated 15 new plug-ins to be included with DP8, including two new classic guitar amp models, a bass cabinet model, several classic guitar pedals, modeled analog delay, a multi-band dynamic equalizer, a de-esser, the Subkick kick drum enhancer, and Springamabob, a modeled vintage spring reverb processor.
Digital Performer 8 is expected to ship by Spring, 2012. Pricing is TBA.
iPad support for CueMix FX
MOTU also demonstrated iPad support for CueMix FX, the mixing and effects processing engine in MOTU’s current line of audio interfaces. With a simple software update, MOTU audio interface users will be able to control the mixing and processing features in their MOTU interface from OSC-compatible iPad software, which offers graphic, multi-touch control over the hardware’s mixer, EQ, compression and reverb. iPad support for CueMix will ship as a free software update in Spring, 2012.