The Lower Rhythm says that Earthwormis a bass synthesizer with all of the grease, fatness and power expected of an analog-style machine. It features include two oscillators (five waveforms each), an extra fat LP filter and variable ‘tone,’ ‘tube’ drive and bit crushing.
Although the user interface looks pretty basic/poor to me, it might provide the power you need to add that extra fatness to your sound
“When the soft sounds of other bass synths just aren’t cutting it for your IDM, glitch, industrial, etc… Earthworm will provide the monophonic balls required right out of the box.”
- Monophonic design
- Two oscillators with five waveforms each
- Extra Fat LP filter
- Variable ‘Tone,’ tube drive and bit crushing
Pricing and Availability:
easytoolz has released Protoge, a virtual analog synthesizer instrument for Windows.
An „Emulation“ of the Analog-Synthesizer called „Moog Prodigy“ from 1976. Its based at the same Sound-Engine as our easy-muug XT with a different Structure: only 2 Oscilators and some smaller things but with the same analogysh fat sound, special for Leadsounds…
- 2 Oscilators with 3 Waveforms (Saw, Triangle and Square, in OSC 2 different PWM).
- Tuning over 3 Octaves (32´- 16´- 8´in OSC1 and 16´- 8´- 4 OSC2).
- Finetune Osc 2 – and Interval (+- 12 Notes) on OSC 2.
- Mixersection (Osc 1+2).
- Special Low-Pass-Filter with Cutoff, Emphasis and ADS Envelope.
- 2 ADS-Envelopes with Release-button (one for Filter – one for VCA-Amplifier).
- Additonal to the Original-Features: Host-synchron LFO (5waves) with several targets.
- Velocity – Reverb – Delay with Pan-LFO – Soft Overdrive and Analog-Drift.
- 100 Patches (mostly from Kujashi aka Schiffbauer).
- Midi-Learn-function – 6 voice polyphony.
Protoge for Windows (VST) is available as donationware.
More information: easytoolz
Overtone DSP tells us that the VTE-2A Vintage EQ, available now for Windows XP / 7 is based on innovative DSP technology originally developed by linuxDSP for the CH-EQ2B.
Modelled on some of the classic analogue EQ designs, it features fully adjustable low and high frequency shelving filters and a swept mid-range parametric with a de-cramped response. Overtone DSP say that this provides a more analogue characteristic than conventional digital filters, without the need for CPU intensive upsampling.
- De-cramped Mid Filter: More natural analogue filter response without requiring CPU intensive upsampling.
- Interpolated Controls: Two stage interpolation provides responsive, smoothly adjustable controls without clicks or ‘zipper’ noise.
- Adjustable Shelving Filters: LF and HF shelf filters with fully adjustable frequency and gain.
- Realtime parameter display: Accurate display of control parameters as they are adjusted.
Pricing and Availability:
Molecular Bytes has released Atomic Reverb, an algorithmic reverb effect plug-in for Windows.
Evolved high-technology – atomicreverb represents one of the currently most modern room and reverbation processors. Sophisticated algorithms combined with a clear and friendly user-interface completes this powerful effect plug-in.
With its unique combination of algorithms, you can design acoustic room patterns in every conceivable way and for exactly the required purpose.
And if you want it quicker, select any of the predefined and categorized presets (more than 150 available!)
Atomic Reverb features
- Superior smooth and dense reverb tail.
- Optionally infinite density tail (limited by sample rate).
- Double precision, full 64Bit internal signal processing zero Latency.
- Room-Size reconstructions and spatial emulation, incoherent Stereo.
- Acurate reality using simulated airflow movement.
- Graphical displays to visualize reverb settings.
- Adjustable gated reverb duration.
- 5 Band equalizer.
- 170+ changeable early-reflection signatures to create individual room sounds.
- 150+ factory presets.
- Clear and easy preset-browser, handling different categories.
- User and factory preset grouping.
Atomic Reverb for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for the introductory price of 69 EUR until December 31, 2011 (regular 119 EUR).
The Lower Rhythm has released Thresher, a compressor effect plug-in for Windows.
Purely intended as an effect tool, Thresher is the compressor your mother warned you about. Capable of obnoxious sustain extension as well as distorted crushing, Thresher offers itself up as a diverse toneshaping tool for those who are into heavier or experimental music-making. Features a vintage style compressor along with a clean output and a variable ‘Power’ control that introduces tube style saturation and old school filter fatness. Gently polish or obliterate: your choice!
- Vintage style compressor.
- Dedicated Clean channel.
- Variable ‘Tube’ control for saturation or heavy distortion.
Thresher for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for $11.99 USD.
More information: The Lower Rhythm
Minimal System Instruments has released Nebula (Space Reverb), a VST plug-in for Windows:
Reverb is one of the most commonly used effects in music production and every producer should have an array of various reverb effects at their disposal. Developed over the last 9 months Nebula is a true labour of love for Minimal System Instruments and we are confident this is reflected in the quality of the plugin both in terms of sound and control and also visually. Nebula can be used to create standard reverb effects but it really excels when used to create stunning atmospheric sounds from something as simple as a single drum hit. When used with more complex loops and sounds the possibilities are endless.
Techno Producer ‘Psionzfikshun’ was a BETA tester throughout the whole development process and here is what he had to say about Nebula:
“Being involved in the testing of Nebula from the beginning has been a real privilege, this was a constantly evolving product and was very exciting to work on. Nebula sounds great, it can be used on drums to add space and character or it can transform any sound into a lush soundscape. I also love how the sound morphs when automating the parameters. I now use Nebula on every track”
Nebula has been tested and works in Cubase, Sonar, Ableton Live, FL Studio, Reaper, Energy XT and works without issue. It is recommended that you always try out the demo before purchases to ensure that the plugin is compatible with your system.
Nebula costs £19.99 and is available now from www.minimalsystem.com
CWI has released version 1.0 of the free TX16Wx VSTi sampler for Windows.
TX16Wx is a 100% free VSTi Sampler with professional features and an easy to use graphical interface – and – one of the few sampler instruments, free or commercial, with a fully documented file format. Not a preset-player or disk-streaming library engine, this is a plug-in for you to make your own sounds, tweak and experiment.
- Unlimited multi-timbral operation.
- 128 voice polyphony.
- Modulation matrix with 16 modulation slots per voice.
- 24dB resonant filter.
- Two syncable LFO + Two modulation envelopes per voice.
- Polyphonic glide.
- Built-in sample editor.
- Automatic Loop Slicing + slice mapping.
- Actually Samples! Record waves straight into the sampler.
- Graphical keyboard mapping editor.
- Automatic sample layout.
- Drag & drop of samples/programs/performances/banks.
- Automatic pitch detection.
- Loop crossfading.
- 4 Stereo + 8 Mono outputs.
- 16 mappable controllers for automation.
- 48 mappable VST parameters for automation.
- Per-sample loop start/end/direction modulation.
- Multiple loop definitions per wave.
- Individual outs for keyboard groups (drums).
- Multiple keyboard scales.
- Multiple trigger modes.
- Mono/Poly/Legato operation.
- 8 choke groups per program.
- Preview loaded programs and samples in a song before loading.
- Quick select of sound data via MIDI.
- WAV/AIFF/AIFC/SoundFont 2 support.
- Reads Typhoon compressed AIF files.
- Reads Original Yamaha OS Wave files.
- 100% documented XML-based sound file format. Anyone can write conversion tools.
- Saves data in DAW project directory.
- Low CPU usage.
- Fully native, optimized for SSE2.
- 64-bit support.
Visit: CWI Technology
Manx has released Destiny, a new synth VSTi for Windows. Here are some sounds from the Manx Destiny, an Arp Odyssey clone from Manx Synthesizers which runs as a VST plugin on PC computers. “The emphasis here, as always with Manx products, is on authenticity; we’re fans of the original classic and we didn’t consider it to be in need of much updating other than full midi implementation and one or two minor tweeks.”
Destiny is the latest product from Manx Synthesizers, who specialize in the implementation of classic analog synthesizers in software; in this case, an Arp Odyssey clone. It is designed to emphasize sound authenticity so the Destiny feature set closely matches that of the original, although the user can select between monophonic and duophonic functionality.
- Monophonic & duophonic modes.
- Oscillator sync, PWM, sample & hold.
- 2 LFOs.
- MIDI learn for all parameters.
M-RGT launches Ambitron, an experimental electronic synthesizer for Windows. “Ambitron is an experimental electronic synthesizer that employs granular synthesis in two separate and programmable layers each with extensive FX and Modulation Matrix modules which provide the user with maximum control over unique sound creation.
Ambitron comes with scores of samples built in but can also support the import of user samples in .wav format for sound creation that can be customized to user preferences and musical styles. As an experimental synthesizer it radically departs from standard “bread and butter” type instruments and is meant to be used as a laboratory for the exploration of new sonic and timbral creations that would be difficult to achieve any other way.
The nature of Ambitron is that it allows for sonic evolution over time and with the use of the various granular controls allows the user to create sounds that have a life of their own and do not repeat in any kind of expected or predictable manner. It is ideal for ambient soundscapes or virtually any type of experimental genres. When used with a midi controller or host these various controls can be manipulated in real time thus further enhancing the sonic possibilities.”
Here’s a preview of a new vocal synth for Windows:
My vocal synthesizer VstPlugin in action.
The sounds are completely synthesized / modifyed (no samples used) .