The mighty Raven MTX at Frankfurt Musikmesse.
The RAVEN MTX is: – A state of the art touch screen display featuring the RAVEN MIXER – A powerful multitouch mixer that can control all major DAW’s – And a flexible and user-customizable, multifunction TOOLBAR. The RAVEN also incorporates a full-featured analog monitoring section designed for today’s audio engineer, with multiple speaker outs and input sources, smart phone connectivity, USB, multiple headphone send and cue options, and much more. But at the heart of the RAVEN MTX is the most important thing of all… Your DAW, right at your fingertips.
The Multi Touch Display
When we began to develop the Raven concept, we studied the touch screen industry for months and became experts in the various technologies. We realized something very quickly: to make a multi touch monitor suited for the pro audio industry, no “off-the-shelf” product would work; they were too slow, with thick, untreated glass and unusable parallax between your finger and the image. The screens themselves wouldn’t look correct at the angle that we needed, the glass had a horrible friction to it, and there were no proper drivers to do real Mac and PC integration with professional DAWs. So we started from the beginning, and built the RAVEN touch display from the ground up, using brand new touchscreen technologies that were literally being introduced to the market as we were working. We build our own displays using commercial grade LED backlit screens and components from industry-standard display manufacturers. It’s sharp, bright, and looks great at any angle. But one of the greatest achievements we made is in our custom made NANO GLIDE surface. This ultra thin 2mm glass is coated with a proprietary nano technology that makes the surface slick and smooth, even smoother than the famous touch tablet… and it allows you to work effortlessly. This is the Rolls Royce of touch screens… nothing on the market comes close in terms of performance, feel, and build quality.
The Raven Mixer
The Raven Multi Touch DAW control software puts your DAW right at your fingertips. A large-format multitouch mixer gives you complete access to faders, pans, mutes, solos, sends, automation, and even plugin inserts. Of course on a 46” screen, plugins become the size of 19” outboard gear – you can easily tweak the controls with your fingers. This is a world-first in DAW control. Having the DAW at your fingertips makes it easy to directly interact with the music.
Pioneer’s new DJM-750 four-channel digital mixer takes FX manipulation and software synergy to new levels, thanks to the new Boost Colour FX and a built-in 24-bit/96 kHz USB sound card.
Available in classic black and sleek silver, the DJM-750 is loaded with features to inspire creativity. The new Boost Colour FX adds a second effect to the Sound Colour FX in play, and lets DJs control the parameters of both FX with just one knob. The mixer boasts 13 Beat FX — including the new VINYL BRAKE — with a dedicated Level/Depth knob for tactile control of the wet/dry mix.
For more information visit, www.pioneerdj.com
Artist : Si Begg
Title : bangON nuttersGROOVE
Take a look at the world’s first 2+2 channel DJ mixer and controller in this brand new video. Very soon, DJs will mix tracks, blend beats, and work effects in a whole new way. For all the latest Traktor news, stay tuned to www.native-instruments.com/traktor and subscribe to the NI YouTube channel.
Performance by: Eric Goldstein
Tracks being used in chronological order:
Eric Goldstein – Chapter XVII (unreleased)
MMM – DEX (MMM)
Special thanks to Funktion-One
a threatening pattern from MIAMI drum machine heavily filtered with Vermona Lancert and Bassline straight into the mixer. Some fiddling on front panels and, special guest, Mario Bianco playing his wery own Bassline cutoff and resonance controls…
Image Line has released Deckadance Mobile for the iPad:
Load music from your iTunes library and mix, scratch or loop up a storm.
When you are ready to kick back, use the automix feature and let Deckadance mix up your playlists for you.
- Beat detection and autosync – Tap the SYNC button on a deck to sync its tempo to that of the opposite deck.
- Left / Right deck faders & Tempo control with nudge – Individual deck volume faders and X-fader.
- Cue points – Add up to 4 cue points per-track per-deck. Select CUES from the mode window. Tap Rec and a cue memory slot to save the current playback cursor position. Alternatively, with the track stopped press the CUE button to set a cue point. When playing the CUE button jumps back to the cue point and pauses.
- Automix – Select the AUTOMIX tab and music source to hear your selected music automixed.
- Equalizer – From the EQ mode window adjust Low, Mid and High equalization.
- Waveform view – Inspect beat alignment from the WAV mode window.
- Loop – After Deckadance mobile automatically detects the beat, from the mode window select 32 to 1/32nd beat loops and tap the Loop button on the deck to engage.
- Sampler – 5 assignable sampler slots per deck. Play from included sample libraries from the mode window.
- Play effects – From the mode window hold Stutter, Turntable, Censor, Break or (back)Spin to add the effect.
- X/Y effects – From the FX tab choose Ring-Mod, Lo-Pass, Hi-Pass or Tap-Delay effects and control them from the X/Y pad.
Deckadance Mobile is $3.99 in the App Store.
Here’s a video that takes a closer look at the compact console from Yamaha with built in 16 channel USB audio interface, 40 mix channels and new mic preamps.
The Yamaha 01V96i updates their iconic digital recording console with 16 channels of bi-directional USB audio streaming at an impressive 96kHz. With multi-track recording now de rigueur during live shows, Yamaha once again ups the ante by making recording and playback faster and easier, while supplying full integration with major ASIO and Core Audio DAWs – with just a single connection. Onboard, you get Yamaha’s lauded Virtual Circuitry Modeling technology, giving you warm “analog” effects that are modelled on the actual circuitry of the original units. Bundled with Steinberg’s Cubase AI, Yamaha’s 01V96i is all you need.
Alesis IOMIX – a new four channel audio dock interface Capable of recording up to four channels of audio into your iPad simultaneously – assuming that you can find the software for it.
Sara Yule takes us through.
Alesis has introduced the iO Mix4-Channel Mixer/Recorder for iPad.
The Alesis iO Mix lets you mix and record four channels of audio directly into GarageBand or other compatible Core Audio apps, turning the iPad into a multitouch portable studio.
- The world’s first mixer/multi-channel interface for iPad
- Mix and record up to four channels, or a stereo mix into your iPad
- Works with mics, instruments, speakers, headphones, video monitors and projectors
- Four combo XLR-1/4? input channels, each with trim, channel gain, pan, and low & high EQ
- Switchable 48V phantom power for use with studio condenser microphones
- Guitar-direct (DI) switch for guitar recording without an amp
- Balanced, stereo 1/4? outputs and 1/4? headphone output with separate volume controls
- Direct Monitor switch for latency-free input monitoring while recording
- Switchable limiter for clip-free recordings
- Hinged door completely encloses and secures your iPad
- Core Audio-compliant: works with virtually any app in the App Store
- Video output for connection to TVs and projectors: perfect for presentations, meetings and VJs
- Mountable to a mic stand using the Alesis Module Mount (sold separately)
- Complete routing and signal-management controls
- Power supply also charges your iPad
iO Mix allows you to connect microphones, instruments, speakers, headphones and more to your iPad.
While it looks like an interesting option for people wanting to record straight to an iPad, others may miss support for MIDI and digital video connections.
Pricing and availability are TBA.
This is a free file I created which you can download by going to jupiter80.music-technology-online.com. This control surface for the iPad adds extra control to your JP-80. The “JP-80 Mixer” runs via the MIDI Touch app which can be found on the iTunes app store.
This control surface for the iPad adds extra control to your JP-80. The “JP-80 Mixer” runs via the MIDI Touchapp which can be found on the iTunes app store. The control surface offers the following control for your JP-80:
1. Global control of Upper, Lower, Solo and Percussion parts.
2. Independent On/Off control of tones for the Upper and Lower parts.
3. Independent control of Cutoff and Resonance for the Upper and Lower parts.
4. Independent Toneblender control for the Upper and Lower parts.
5. Independent Matrix controls of the Cutoff and Resonance for the Upper and Lower Parts.
“To use the control surface, you will need to download MIDI Touch from the iTunes app store and install it on your iPad. Then simply send me an email to request the control surface plug-in and installation instructions. You will also need the Apple Camera Connection Kit in order to connect your iPad to the JP-80 via USB.”