Audio Spillage has released Elecktroid, a new drum machine for Mac that’s described as ‘a fusion of drum synth and and drum sampler with a custom designed rhythm sequencer.’ Elecktroid blends synthesis and sample playback in a single integrated package.
Here’s what they have to say about Elecktroid:
Pulsing away deep inside Elecktroid you’ll find 4 of our exclusive drum synthesis models: BassDrum, WoodDrum, HiHat and Snare. The drum synths are 100% algorithmic and utilise high quality DSP code for a deep, powerful and punchy sound. The synthesis algorithms can be used as the basis of an entire rhythm track on their own or layered with samples to add weight, depth and character to your existing sound sets and rhythms.
The backbone of Elecktroid is a high quality low CPU sample playback engine. Load up your favourite samples via the simple drag and drop interface. Refresh and re-animate your existing collection with the pitch envelope, modulation, distortion, filter and graphic loop editing capabilities. Elecktroid can velocity cross-fade between 2 samples per pad and accepts WAV, AIFF and CAF format files.
The new rhythm oriented step sequencer brings Elecktroid to life right inside your DAW. Forget about stale lifeless rhythms. Elecktroid features custom track lengths and step trigger probability controls opening the door to a world of non-repetitive poly-rhythmic beats. Inject groove and humanoid feel to suit. Elecktroid’s sequencer is a resolution-independent design so patterns play at the correct tempo regardless of step length (16th, 32nd etc). Elecktroid also features graphic velocity and parameter control graph editing.
Elecktroid is available now for $55. A demo version is available.
Multi-Band Waveshape Modelling Plug-In
Sinevibes has announced Circuit, its newest AudioUnit effect plug-in designed for multi-band waveshape modelling. Circuit splits the signal into three frequency bands, and passes each band through its own processing engine, which offers 12 different models – from sine-based transformers and foldback distortion, to circuit-bent filters, lo-fi and ring modulation. These models can be put in motion by an envelope follower, tempo-synchronized modulator or two-dimensional Lorenz chaos generator.
Sinevibes says that all of these features are wrapped into a fun and simple to use, yet stylish colour-coded interface, which features the company’s innovative new design language. Circuit is also based on a future-proof graphics engine that supports the Retina MacBook Pro and of course all forthcoming high-resolution Mac computers.
Pricing and Availability:
Circuit will be available in October 2012 as an AudioUnit plugin for OS X 10.5 or later (Intel 32/64 bit). It can be pre-ordered for just $19. Customers who purchase the Sinevibes’ Complete AudioUnit collection (and those who purchased it after 1st September 2012) will receive Circuit as a free bonus.
SKYLIFE has announced an updated cross platform version of their premier sampling suite, now available for both Mac OSX and for Windows OS. SampleRobot Pro and Multi-X are now upated to version 4.25 with optimized cross-platform support for Mac OS X and Windows 7. Furthermore an updated operation manual is included.
About SampleRobot 4:
With SampleRobot 4 Pro you can easily do automatic sampling of acoustic and electronic instruments. It does not matter what you would like to sample: orchestral instruments, choir, organs, electric guitars, ethnic percussion, adlips, sound scapes, noises, MIDI gear, virtual instruments, alpenhorns or whatever, SampleRobot makes your sampling as fast and as satisfying as possible. SampleRobot samples all sound nuances automatically and creates high-end sampled instruments in various formats. Seamless integrated WaveRobot software finds perfect loop points even for whole multi-samples with different velocity layers during recording. It was never easier to build professional-sounding software instruments.
Benefits of SampleRobot:
* Feed your compositions with inspiring samples from the world outside your studio
Create digital copies of your favorite instruments and sounds;
* Borrow instruments and keep a virtual copy (abiding by relevant copyright laws and license agreements of course);
* Build and sell/share your own sample libraries;
* Have all your sound hardware on your hard disk and travel with your laptop;
* Buy used gear and resell it after automatic sampling;
* Use all your software instruments cross-platform
* Work in other studios or on stage without carrying additional sound expanders;
* Play monophonic instruments polyphonically;
* Total recall for every session.
SampleRobot Multi-X is available as download alternatively with and without WaveRobot.
Learn more at: http://www.samplerobot.com/
Apogee Electronics has unveiled Quartet, which they describe as “The ultimate desktop audio interface and control center for Mac.” They say that, featuring four inputs, eight outputs, MIDI, top panel display and control, Quartet sets a new standard in performance and connectivity for the modern studio. Here’s the full details in Apogee’s own words…
With ample input and output connections, the signature single controller knob, QuickTouch pads, and Apogee’s conversion technology, Quartet delivers where it counts; sound, functionality and usability.
Quartet connects to any Mac via USB 2.0 high-speed for extremely low-latency and stellar performance. From MacBook Air to Mac Pro, Quartet easily connects at amazingly high-speeds no matter the machine or sample rate; 44.1-192kHz.
Quartet’s four combination inputs offer microphone, instrument and line input with an exceptional gain range of up to 75 dB, leaving plenty of headroom for demanding microphones and sound sources. For additional channels, Quartet’s eight digital inputs create the option of connecting an external interface, like the Apogee Ensemble.
Quartet’s six balanced outputs deliver options for the video producer to mix in surround, the live performer to send multiple mixes to monitors and front-of-house and the mixer to send a mix to outboard compressors and EQs. Using Apogee’s Maestro software, the outputs will also split into three stereo pairs for connecting three speaker sets for auditioning mixes across various types of studio monitors.
A first for an Apogee audio interface, Quartet includes a USB MIDI connection for connecting a keyboard, synth or DJ controller. This feature consolidates all gear connections away from the Mac, making Quartet the control center for any studio.
Apogee CEO and Co-Founder Betty Bennett, told SBC, “We are excited to announce Quartet. Quartet offers a highly requested I/O configuration, award-winning sound and sleek design, all at an affordable price. We have listened to our customers and have designed Quartet with their requests in mind. At Apogee, we are all about delivering the absolutely best in sound, design and functionality and believe Quartet is a winner on every front.”
- Best-in-class sound quality with Apogee AD/DA converters
- 4 Analog inputs with world-class mic preamps
- Monitor control – up to 3 speaker sets
- USB 2.0 High-speed Mac audio interface
- ADAT/SMUX digital inputs
- MIDI input (USB-A type connector)
- 8 Analog Outputs: 6 Balanced line outputs, +20 dBu maximum output level 1 independent 1/4″ stereo headphone output
- 2 top panel high-resolution OLED displays
- Controller knob
- 6 touchpads for direct selection of inputs and outputs
- 3 assignable touchpads
- Quartet works with any Core Audio compatible application including: Logic, Pro Tools 9 and 10, Final Cut, Ableton Live
- Made in the U.S.A.
Features & Specifications:
- 4 Analog Inputs: Combination line (balanced +20dBu max), Mic/Instrument (+20dBu/+14dBu max)
- 4 Microphone preamps with up to 75dB of gain
- 8 Digital Inputs: ADAT/SMUX Input, 2 Toslink connectors, 44.1kHz to 96kHz
- 8 Analog Outputs: 6 Balanced line outputs, +20 dBu maximum output level, 1 Independent 1/4″ stereo headphone output
- MIDI I/O (USB-A type connector)
- Word clock output
- USB 2.0 High-speed Mac audio interface
- A/D and D/A conversion: 24 bit/192kHz
- 2 top panel high resolution OLED displays
- Controller knob
- 6 touchpads for direct selection of inputs and outputs
- 3 assignable touchpads to control:
- Mute Outputs
- Dim Outputs
- Sum to Mono
- Clear Meters
- Engage Speaker Set (allows monitoring of up to 3 pairs of speakers)
Pricing and Availability:
Price: $1,295 US, €1,295 EUR
Worldwide Availability: September 2012
The ultimate desktop studio interface and control center for Mac
Apogee Quartet is a professional USB audio interface designed to deliver the ultimate desktop recording experience to the Mac-based studio. Featuring 4 inputs and 8 outputs of Apogee’s industry-leading AD/DA conversion technology as well as 4 world-class mic preamps, Quartet bridges the gap between the 2-channel Apogee Duet and the 8-channel Apogee Ensemble.
All the I/O you need with room to grow
Connect up to 4 microphones, instruments, keyboards or line inputs. Plug in your MIDI controller or keyboard. Expand with up to 8 digital inputs. Monitor and mix it all in stereo, with up to 3 sets of speakers or in 5.1 surround. Quartet is the center of the modern studio and will help you take the performance and sound quality of your projects to the next level.
Total Creative Control
Simple, powerful and easy to work with
With its ergonomic, angular design and intuitive user interface, Quartet is inspiring, easy to use and in perfect harmony with your workspace. Dual full-color screens for critical input and output details, QuickTouch pads for easy I/O selection, and a single controller knob to conduct it all, make Quartet the perfect studio control center for your Mac.
Legendary Sound Quality
Why Apogee Quartet is the best choice for your studio
Apogee is an award-winning industry leader in digital recording technology with over 25 years of experience. Preferred by recording pros around the world, Apogee products like Duet, Ensemble and Symphony I/O have been instrumental in creating countless GRAMMY® and OSCAR® winning recordings and have set the industry standard in professional recording for over two decades. Quartet is built solidly on this reputation.
Best-in-class sound quality with Apogee AD/DA converters
4 Analog Inputs with world-class mic preamps
Monitor control – up to 3 speaker sets
USB 2.0 High-speed Mac audio interface
ADAT/SMUX digital Inputs
MIDI input (USB-A type connector)
8 Analog Outputs: 6 Balanced line outputs, +20 dBu maximum output level
1 Independent 1/4″ stereo headphone output
2 top panel high resolution OLED displays
6 touchpads for direct selection of inputs and outputs
3 assignable touchpads
Quartet works with any Core Audio compatible application including: Logic, Pro Tools 9 and 10, Final Cut. Ableton Live
“Coming soon to OS X.”
Sony has released a teaser for a new version of Sound Forge Pro, its digital audio editing software, and the new version is for Mac OS X. Details, including availability and pricing, are still to come – but it’s ‘coming soon’.
Blip Interactive has released a Mac OS X version of its popular iOS virtual studio, NanoStudio.
NanoStudio, the award winning music production app for iOS, is now available on the Mac App Store! Transfer your NanoStudio projects between iOS, OS X and Windows to make music wherever and whenever it suits you. Made a banging tune on your computer and need to go out? Email it to your phone and just carry on where you left off! NanoStudio has virtual analogue synths, sample trigger pads, a comprehensive sequencer, a sample editor, a mixer and multiple effects all integrated into a single application. Record your ideas in real time, mix synth layers with samples, compose and arrange your tune using the powerful sequencer and bring the mix alive with effects such as reverb, compression and EQ. Transfer projects between your computer and your iOS device, or use NanoStudio’s comprehensive audio mixdown options and export features to get your ideas over to your favourite desktop DAW.
- NanoStudio has virtual analogue synths, sample trigger pads, a comprehensive sequencer, a sample editor, a mixer and multiple effects all integrated into a single application.
- Record your ideas in real time, mix synth layers with samples, compose and arrange your tune using the sequencer and bring the mix alive with effects such as reverb, compression and EQ.
- You can transfer projects between your OS X or Windows computer and your iOS device, or use NanoStudio’s audio mixdown options and export features to get your ideas over to your favourite desktop DAW.
- Eden synth (also plays samples) – single or dual keyboards, XY controllers, pitch bend and accelerometer control
- Sequencer with up to 64 tracks and a piano roll editor for note, velocity and controller events, all with undo/redo
- TRG-16 sample trigger pads
- Sampling and resampling, sample editor and effects processor with undo/redo
- Mixer with 4 inserts per channel, 2 global send busses and volume/pan automation on every channel
- Transfer samples, final mixes and individual track mixdowns to your Mac/PC using NanoSync or email
- MIDI input
- Built in help
It’s free - so check it out in the Mac App Store
SineVibes has released Oscillator– an audio-controlled synthesizer for the Mac – as a free download.
Oscillator is an AudioUnit effect plugin that lets you turn any audio into sci-fi effects, glitches and noises. It is based on a multi-waveform oscillator with up to six voices and variable frequency stepping, whose parameters are modulated using the input signal’s dynamics.
The oscillator output can then be processed via effects which include ring modulator, sample rate degrader and bit crusher. This lets Oscillator turn any audio signal into a wide variety of sounds and effects.
Oscillator is a free download at the SineVibes site.
Bringing several of the goodies from iOS into the laptop might mean that we will have an even smoother experience when producing music and do import/export of your music between the two platforms.
Subscribe and Like.New Ipad 3 Keynote will upload in this channel soon as it released/
Mountain Lion — version 10.8 of the Mac’s OS X operating system — comes more closely on the heels of its predecessor than other updates. While each of the last four Mac upgrades has come about two years after its predecessor, Version 10.7 was released just seven months ago.
Schiller said Apple was able to get an early start on Mountain Lion because of all the work done to prepare Lion, which reviewers said marked the most sweeping changes in OS X since its 2001 inception. He said the company has so far shipped 17 million copies of Lion, making it the company’s best-selling release ever
Thomas Glendinning has released Binaural Beat Generator, a free Mac application, available in VST and AU plugin formats, that lets you explore binaural beats.
Binaural beats are a psychoacoustic effect that occurs when you listen to sounds of two slightly different pitches through headphones. For example, if a 300 Hz tone is played in one ear and 310 Hz in the other, then a binaural beat of the difference, 10 Hz, is heard.
Some ascribe physiological and psychological effects to binaural beats, calling them ‘digital drugs’.
Binaural Beat Generator is a free and open source app, downloadable from SourceForge.
After a year flodded with specific apps targeting the iOS side of the coin – it is nice to see someone taking a stab at improving or updating the controller side of thins for OSX users. Nikolozi Meladze has released Easy MIDI, an app that turns your Mac keyboard, trackpad and mouse into a powerful MIDI keyboard controller. It sends MIDI notes and control messages to any soft synth or DAW such as GarageBand, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Cubase and Digital Performer. This is very useful when you want to jot down some musical ideas quickly and easily whilst travelling, sitting in a coffee shop or even on your couch at home.
Easy MIDI even allows you to control iPad apps that support CoreMIDI or hardware synth via MIDI interface.
Easy MIDI features
- Send MIDI notes and control messages to any DAW or MIDI driver.
- Notes can be triggered using alphanumeric keys.
- Over 3 octaves under your fingertips.
- Easily change keyboard octave with up/down arrows.
- Visual feedback eliminates the need to look down on your Mac keyboard.
- Sustain on/off can be triggered with a space bar.
- Vertical scroll changes note velocity.
- Pitch bender can be controlled with a pinch zoom gesture or a vertical mouse drag.
- Modulation can be controlled with a rotation gesture or a vertical mouse move.
- Adjustable Easy MIDI window transparency.
Easy MIDI for Mac is available to purchase for $29.99 USD.