Craig Blundell demonstrates the new features of the SPD-SX Sampling Pad. The SPD-SX puts powerful sample creation and playback under your sticks with innovative audio-capturing features, expressive playability, three multi-effects engines, and much more.
The perfect addition to any acoustic or electronic drum kit, percussion setup, DJ booth, or keyboard rig, the SPD-SX is equally at home on the live stage, in the recording studio, pre-production suite, or dance club. The SPD-SX takes many of the proven concepts from its predecessor and raises them to a new level. Whether you’re firing off one-shot samples, looped phrases, or complete audio playback tracks, the SPD-SX is loaded with the latest technology and tools to get the job done with speed, precision, and convenience. Enjoy the most advanced triggering and sampling technology in a sleek, easy-to-use percussion instrument.
Get your drums going with AfroDJMac’s latest Live rack featuring the Operator synth
I made a rack of 16 drums, exclusively with Ableton’s Operator synth. They sound pretty glitches out yet exciting. Some fun and interesting effects added into the instrument rack helps to spice things up with a healthy dose of character. Follow along as I show you how it works. Thanks!
Download @ http://bit.ly/freesynth33
After last week’s Ableton Rack, the Gibson Pad, I received a few questions regarding the drums I used in creating the demo video. So, this week’s rack is the drum rack I used to create those sounds. The FM synthesis in Ableton’s Operator can be used to attain nearly any sound imaginable. Lately, I have been using it to create some far out drum sounds. This week’s Free Weekly Ableton Live Rack is just that, a collection of different drums made with the Operator synth. Every time I open Operator and start messing around with it, I am always amazed at what I get. The drum sounds I created are all racked up into a drum rack and from there I added a bunch of useful effects. First is a bit of New York Style Compression, which is just a combination of the dry, uncompressed signal and a heavily compressed version; the macro knob allows you to blend them to taste. I’ve added both a lo and hi pass filter, distortion, reverb and delay. Also, I’ve thrown in a vinyl distortion that is designed to emulate the sound of a drum hit being sampled from a record. One of the cool things about sampling off a vinyl is the crackling you get behind the drum sounds and the way it cuts out at the end of the sample. To achieve this, I set up a vinyl distortion followed by a gate. The gate is set to close out the vinyl crackles, but open when the drum sounds. The result is that you only hear the vinyl crackles while the drums are sounding, just like with a vinyl sample. I love this effect, it adds so much life and grit to the drum sounds. This technique can be emulated for any sample, not just drums. So here it is in all, I hope you enjoy it!
Amen break – coming from the late 60′s is one of the most famous drum loops sampled and remixed in hundreds of jungle, drum’n'bass and hiphop records. This six-second clip spawned several entire subcultures and gained massive fame among DJ’s, producers and music fans.
We bring you the Amen Break Generator – a vintage-looking loop player designed for a real-time generating of infinite combinations of this famous break! You can remix the loop with your fingers, use three different randomizing algorithms and add various DSP effects.
- 44.1 khz, 16-bit low-latency audio engine
- beautiful vintage-looking graphics
- 16 buttons for manual tempo-synced triggering of the break
- 3 different randomization algorithms for automatic remixing
- single slice freezer and loop reverse mode
- high quality DSP effects including ring modulator, flanger, resampler and chorus
- 3 additional classic drum loops just for even more fun!
The app is priced at $0.99
All sounds and effects created exclusively with DAMAGE: http://www.native-instruments.com/damage
DAMAGE provides an arsenal of deeply sampled drums, crushing loops, and smashing one-shots, all recorded in brutal detail. From battered dumpsters and exploding cars to edgy electronics, the entire gamut of modern cinematic sound comes together in this uniquely playable and inspiring instrument. Deep, thrilling and intense — DAMAGE is epic redefined!
DAMAGE gives you 30 GB of drama, fusing industrial sounds and orchestral drums into a devastating electro-acoustic barrage. Percussive Kits provide more than 200 deeply sampled percussion sources, and over 500 single-shot elements, recorded in up to seven velocity layers and with up to nine round-robins per drum.
Over 700 beat-sliced loops come as menu-style loop suites or as single loops for detailed tweaking. Even the most complex sounds are instantly usable, and it’s all in hair-raising, big-screen quality.
Rayzoon has updated Jamstix, a virtual drummer instrument for Windows.
This update offers various enhancements and fixes and is available now to all Jamstix 3 owners at no charge. The demo version has also been updated.
Changes in Jamstix v3.2.0
- While in preview loop, the current bar can now be changed via clicking on the bar timeline.
- Added ‘End Crash’ sound selection option to fill generator and global action menu.
- Added ‘Send Whole Kit To MIDI Channel’ function to kit menu.
- Sound selection menus now also show related kit piece name.
- Added options to ‘Global Actions’ in song menu to enable/disable start crash and end crash options for fills.
- Added velocity offset for Jamcussion. Hold ALT while in JC mode and the song power knob will show and adjust this offset. Turn left to reduce JC power and vice versa.
- Added ‘Position-Based Dampening’ to kit menu, saved to project.
- AUTO and BAR settings now save globally.
- Added ‘List Brain Elements’ to brain menu.
- Groove brain elements can now be moved (left-click header).
- Added missing value display for several brain controls.
- Added list of installed expansions to ABOUT screen (click on JAMSTIX header).
- Added ini file option ‘LargeTuningRange’. If set to 1, kit editor tuning will be +/- 80% versus the default 20%.
- Velocity line color in the bar editor can now be changed in ini file as BGR value (i.e BEVeloColor=$00FF00 is green).
- Locked note color in the bar editor can now be changed in ini file as BGR value (i.e BELockedColor=$FF0000 is blue).
- Fixed copy/paste of multiple parts.
- Fixed problem with spaces when renaming Jamstix classic controls.
- Fixed fill settings resetting when adding groove or accent brain elements.
- Fixed GUI confusion when re-opening JS in Jamcussion mode with GUI caching disabled.
- Fixed mixer being bypassed when ‘Never Downmix’ is enabled.
- Fixed ‘Behavior’ and ‘Alternating’ not updating in GUI when changed via MIDI controller.
- Fixed groove weights resetting when reloading non 4/4-projects.
- Fixed problem in the ‘Freestyle’ hihat opening element.
- Fixed problem when loading liveloop songs.
- Fixed ‘Turn Groove Into Style’ not working with groove-changing players.
- Fixed ‘Auto Snare’ not working with ‘Jamstix Classic’ style.
- Fixed static tom usage in “Tom Groove” element.
- Fixed graphic overlap in Jamstix Classic brain controls for non-4/4 meters.
- Fixed error when changing hihat sound.
- Fixed problem with excessive snare notes with certain styles.
- Fixed groove functions of player models creating notes in intro parts.
- Locked notes are no longer suppressed by blocking functions such as ‘Early Downbeat’.
Jamstix 3 is available to purchase for Windows PC, starting at $99 USD.
More information: Rayzoon
Beatmatch.info has released Digital Drums, a download sample pack.
With more than 40 synthesised, professionally produced drum sounds in Wav format, this library is ideal for all electronica, minimal techno and electro producers.
Digital Drums features
- 40+ royalty free audio samples.
- Includes 9 Kicks, 9 Snares, 11 Hi-Hats, 11 Percussion sounds.
- Wav & Aiff format, 16 Bit/44.1 khz, Stereo.
- 100% royalty free.
Digital Drums is available as a free download from Beatmatch.info
More information: Digital Drums
Can’t afford proper drums? Well in that case this one might be for you:
Ever dreamt of becoming a drummer without having to purchase, carry and assemble a complete drum set? The solution is simple; gear up with some office supplies, a pair of headphones, your favourite Apple iOS device and unleash the power of your pocket-sized drum set.
You can now build your own virtual drum set from practically anything. Music applications where users tap the screen are things of the past. Welcome to the future!
TableDrum is an Augmented Audio application that allows you to sync the sound of any real object and trigger a real time response of high quality drum sounds.
You can now build your own drumset from practically anything. Drum applications where users tap the screen are things of the past. This is the future!
Take it to the streets, show your kitchen table who’s the boss or simply let your stuff feel the rhythm.
With the TableDrum application the world is now your virtual drum set. You can sync the sound of basically any real object to your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and link it to high quality drum samples of your choice.
Included in the app is the Classic Rock kit with 8 high quality drum samples. By expanding your sound library with the Ethno & Jazz kit and Electro and Glitch kit you can get access to another 32 high quality sounds to play with.
Some things to get started
Gear up with a couple of pencils and some office supplies, each one with unique acoustic characteristics, to drum on!
Use headphones for best result.
To link a drum to a real physical object
1. Hold down a drum pad until it starts glowing.
2. Release and tap a real physical object several times (4-8) while the light fills the circle.
3. When the linking process is done, the rim of the pad will glow.
The app recognizes sound, so for the app to work at its best, the sounds you link should be different and distinguished. While you are playing, hit the object the same way as when you linked it.
To unlink a drum
1. Hold down the drum pad for one second. The rim stops glowing and is unlinked from the real physical object.
To change a drum sample
1. Press the menu button.
2. Slide through the different sample albums.
3. Click an album and then drag n’ drop the sound icons you want to use onto each drum pad.
Ableton Live Drum effect Rack download and tutorial.
AfroDJMac takes you through how he uses Ableton’s drum racks, effect racks, and follow actions in his live performances to create drum fills, variations, and effects. Effect rack contains Beat Repeats, Mutes, Looper for tape effects, Reverb, Delay, Filters, New York Style Compression… Download includes a Live set with the effect rack and clips set up to play randomly generated drum fills that come in and out, very musically and on time.
Download the Live Set Here: http://bit.ly/freesynth16
Goldbaby Productions has released When Alien Drum Robots Attack II, a new sample library featuring drum and fx sounds for electronic music.
WHO IS THIS FOR? People who make: Hip Hop, Drum & Bass, Dub Step, Techno, House, Dub, Break Beat… any genre that needs solid punchy drums with lots of character and plenty of variety.
WHAT WAS USED TO MAKE IT? Everything in Goldbaby’s studio! Using a studio full of vintage and new drum machines, samplers, synths, rack effects, vinyl, tape, real drums and perc, field recordings… this product will give you a huge palette of super solid drums and sweet FX.
When Alien Drum Robots Attack II features
- 2112 samples (24 bit).
- 129 Rex loops.
- 81 Battery 3 Kits.
- 40 Presets and 67 kits for Geist.
- 40 Bundles for Guru.
- 81 EXS24 Patches for Logic.
- 40 Kong Patches and 41 x NNXT Patches for Reason 5.
When Alien Drum Robots Attack II is available to purchase for $39 USD.
Voltage Disciple has released a free drum rack for Ableton Live, VOLT100A,.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
The lost VOLT100A free Ableton LIVE Pack.
A 96kHz 24 bit glitch drumrack containing 22 unique tortured sounds from a mysterious old analogue synth combined with a glitch FX rack and some New York Compression.
This pack is compatible with LIVE and LIVE Suite.
Visit Voltage Disciple, download the LIVE Pack, choose install LIVE pack from within LIVE and enjoy the torture. While you are there check out our other great LIVE packs.
VOLT100A is available now as a free download from the Voltage Disciple freebies page.