Sonic takes a look at the new 8 voice virtual analog synthesizer – the result of a collaboration between Studio Logic and Waldorf. What makes it rather unusual is the fact that rather than have few knobs and a lot of menus, it has a large format classic synthesizer panel with one knob per function
Details on the Sledge:
For many synthesizer enthusiasts, it is the particular interaction of the sound engine and user interface that makes a great instrument. A quick look at Sledge shows you the generous set of controls available to interact directly with the sound engine. When you touch the knobs and switches of the front panel, you will instantly be aware of the meticulous attention to detail our engineers have refined, during many decades building the best electronic keyboards.
You will experience the logical set-up of the synthesizer modules, mirroring the signal flow of a classic analogue synthesizer. But what really distinguishes any synthesizer is its sound. Fortunately, our friends at Waldorf Music have happily shared their experience and know-how on this crucial part of the Sledge Synthesizer.
So we implanted the DSP heart of the latest Waldorf modelling technology into Sledge. The result: enough power to put the foundations of your studio seriously at risk! And plenty of detail, to create the richest analogue pads you could ever want. Besides the classic analogue synthesizer waveforms, you will find a complete set of Wavetables, derived directly from the mother of all digital synthesizers, the PPG Wave.
The sum of three fat oscillators, plus a Noise generator, are fed into Sledge’s powerful multimode filter with selectable 24 / 12 dB slope. The highly recognizable Waldorf filter algorithms enable a wide variety of sounds, from smooth to harsh, from fat to distinct, from pure HiFi to badass brutal. Ultra-fast, accurate envelope generators deliver ballsy punch. Two LFOs plus 1 extra Wheel-LFO are on board to offer huge, yet easy to understand, modulation capabilities. And two built-in Effect units deliver sophisticated synthesizer effects, such as Chorus, Phaser and Flanger, as well as a rich Reverb or an analogue style Delay.
And the best part – if you are familiar with the operation of a classic analogue synthesizer, you won’t have to spend any of your precious time reading the manual. There are no double or multiple functions on any of the knobs or pushbuttons. All synthesizer parameters are clearly and ergonomically arranged in front of your eyes and directly accessible under your fingertips. This makes sound design a blast, and takes you back to the pure user experience which you’ll soon realise you’ve been missing.
• 32 Pots
• 3 chicken head rotary switches (7 positions)
• 1 rotary encoder with push function
• 2 x 16 digits backlit LCD
• High Quality Pitch and Mod Wheel
• up to 256 Sounds
• fast and efficient sound selection via numeric keypad
• 2 fast LFOs per voice, each with adjustable Speed and Depth
• 1 extra modulation routing for Mod Wheel, with adjustable Speed and Depth
- Shape: Sawtooth, Rectangular, Triangle, Sine, Sample & Hold, Ramp
- Destination: Osc 1, Osc2, Ocs3, PWM / Wave / FM, Volume, Filter Cutoff
• 8 Voices polyphony
• Monophonic mode with single or multiple trigger
• 3 Oscillators per voice
- Range from 64′ to 1′ each
- Shapes: Sawtooth, Square, Triangle, Sine, Pulse (with Pulse Width Modulation)
- Oscillator 1 with 66 Original PPG Wavetables
• Frequency Modulation of sine and triangle
• Oscillator Hardsync (Osc 2 to Osc 3)
• Noise Generator with selectable white and pink noise
• Mixer with Volume and On/Off switch for each Oscillator and Noise
• 1 Multi Mode Filter per voice
- 24 / 12dB
- Resonance up to Self-Oscillation and beyond
- Adjustable Keytrack and Drive
• 2 fast Envelopes per voice (filter / amplifier)
• Powerful Arpeggiator
- Latch mode
- syncable to MIDI Clock
- Direction Up, Down, Alternate
- Range up to 10 Octaves
• 2 simultaneuous Effects
- Effect 1: Chorus / Phaser / Flanger
- Effect 2: Reverb / Delay
• sturdy, lightweight enclosure (less than 10 KG)
• high quality, 5 octaves Fatar TP 9 keyboard
WOPR is a polyphonic, stereo virtual analog synthesizer with totally unique evolving modulation driven by vintage 1970s cellular automata. It’s made for iPad 2 or later only. WOPR is a performance instrument, a stand-alone instrument in the same spirit as the Korg Monotron.
It’s brilliantly playable: the full-width Wribbon keyboard lets you play pitch-perfect notes every time, then bend them like a guitar god to convey your inner pain to the screaming masses.
It’s performance-friendly: you can create customized control panels for comfortable access to parameters. That’s much better than contorting your fingers to fit some tiny panel layout.
WOPR is a seriously powerful analog, but what sets it apart is its modulation grid: you paint a pattern of cells into a grid, set the tempo, hit ‘run’ and let the cellular automata evolve your pattern. You link areas of the grid to any of the synth’s parameters and your patches come to life, rhythmically pulsating as the patterns shift with each beat. Constrain parameters to ranges for tight control over rhythmic modulation, or set them free to dynamically breed new patches.
Being a virtual analogue synthesizer, we’d be remiss if we didn’t include some allusion to the past. Here it is: the modulation grid is a bona fide 1970s invention called Conway’s Game of Life. Look it up, marvel at the infinite variety of patterns, geek out on the math, then put them to work twisting knobs in WOPR.
The core synth engine justifies its powerful modulation. WOPR has:
- 2 pannable oscillators with sine, saw, square and triangle waves. Each oscillator has an incredible range: 32′ to 1′, with +/- 500 cent detune (a perfect fourth either way). There’s also a white noise generator.
- 3 ADSR envelopes, 2 assignable between osc 1 & 2 and the third dedicated to the noise source.
- 2 fruity, resonant 24Db/octave low pass filters, assignable to osc 1 & 2 or to the left and right stereo channels.
- 2 delays, a free-running delay with fine control over low intervals, and a tempo-synced delay running from 32nds to two whole beats. Delays are independent, or can be assigned to feed eachother in any sequence. Howls, rings and reverbs are easy to create; so are good, old-fashioned solid, rhythmic delays.
- 2 octave, full-width Wribbon keyboard: play piano like a guitar, bending individual notes or entire chords. All without losing fixed-key pitch accuracy when you don’t want to bend. Best of all the whole width of your iPad 2 is there for performance.
- 6 voice polyphony. If that’s not enough (maybe you have tiny fingers), it comes with the best note stealing algorithm on the iPad.
- Modulation matrix: use this to link controls to the Game of Life, or simply use it to define a custom control panel for easy performance.
WOPR is version 1.0.0. It doesn’t yet have these features, but they’re being worked on:
- Audio copy/paste (it’s coming soon.)
- A giant preset library. (More are available for free download within the app.)
WOPR’s architecture might change a bit too. It’s young and has a lot of growing up to do. Right now Omnivore is experimenting with stereo BPF & LPF filters that you can insert into various places in the signal pipeline. We’re looking at ways to drive a wavetable library from the grid, too. Feedback is welcome, so please send your requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, what does WOPR stand for? Anything you like. Wave Oscillator Piano Replacement? Wickedly Optimized for Phat Response? Who knows. All we can say is that it’s the synth David Lightman would choose…
Polyphonic Full-Modular Synthesizer with Patch-cable system, “Kamioooka”
VST Instrument 32/64bits for Windows freeware.
Participated in KVR Developer Challenge 2012.
Developer Sobal Corp has introduced Eurypharynx, a 4-voice virtual analog synth for the iPad.
- In each OSC, you can select two waveforms and also morph them.
- Flexible patching operation is available with Matrix Patching.
- Alter numerous parameters sequentially with Modulation Sequencer.
- Intuitive performance is available with XY Pad Control.
- It is possible to save up to 256 patches.
It’s CoreMIDI compatible and $1.99, so check out the details and let us know what you think of it!
- 4-Voice Polyphony
- OSC x 2 / NG x 1
- OSC Modulation
- Ring Modulation
- OSC Sync
- Filter x 1
- EG x 2
- LFO x 2
- Arpeggiator Type x 6
- Matrix Patching
- Modulation Sequencer
- XY Pad Control x 2
- Over Drive
- Keyboard (Scale) x 35
- Real-Time Recording
- Wireless Sync-Start Technology (WIST) is supported.
- AudioCopy is supported.
- CoreMIDI is supported.
Eurypharynx is available now in the App Store for $1.99.
Synapse Audio has released Antidote, a new Rack Extension for Propellerhead Reason. Here’s how they describe it in their own words:
Antidote is an exclusive virtual-analog synthesizer, which combines highest audio quality, flexibility and a fast work flow in an easy-to-use plug in. Antidote has been specifically developed to complement Reason, and to integrate well into its environment. It can be used both as an instrument, and as a powerful multi-effect unit.
Antidote comes with two stereo oscillator banks, each emitting a stack of high quality oscillator waveforms. The oscillators pass through the filter stage, which employ the latest zero-delay feedback designs. Envelopes and LFOs further shape the sound, and the powerful modulation matrix, which can modulate almost any sound parameter, adds the necessary depth to realize complex sounds.
The output of the synthesis stage finally passes through a big effect chain with Distortion, EQ, Phaser, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Compressor and a unique Bass enhancement effect, which models the bass frequency response of some vintage analog gear.
Antidote ships with 300 Presets and 10 Combinator patches, covering a wide range of music genres.
Pricing and Availability:
Antidote is available at an introductory price of €79 until December 31st, 2012 (the regular price will be €119).
Giles Reaves: Space Music Improv on the Synapse Antidote Synthesizer.
“Testing my new Nikon D600, and the new Synthesizer from Synapse Audio: Antidote (for Reason 6.5). I created the patch from scratch in real time, as shown in the video. To keep in the “space music” theme, I used my night time time lapse footage from a recent trip through Southern Utah and Northern Arizona (including shots at Arcosanti, AZ).”
Consisting of HALion Sonic, Padshop Pro, Retrologue, Hypnotic Dance, Triebwerk and Dark Planet, the Absolute VST Instrument Collection offers thousands of sounds, advanced technology and state-of-the-art sound design for contemporary music production, composing and live performance. Absolute combines exceptional quality and premium value at a fantastic price.
• 6 high-quality VST instruments comprising thousands of presets
• HALion Sonic is Steinberg’s premier VST workstation, featuring the latest sampling and synthesis technologies, a world-class library and an intelligent user interface that excels in the studio as well as on stage.
• Padshop Pro introduces a new way of granular sound design. Get yourself ready for out-of-this-world atmospheres and far-out effects.
• Zero Gravity is the exceptional expansion pack for Padshop Pro and comes with 250 new presets and a fully loaded new SoftGrain Wave ROM.
• Retrologue offers old-school analog synth sounds and biting sonic blocks and is ideal for creating fat and funky lead and bass sounds.
• Hypnotic Dance is a treasure trove for electronic music producers with solid bass lines, cutting leads and beautifully textured pads.
• Triebwerk is the go-to choice for club-worthy dance sounds including soaring synths, four-to-the-floor drum kits and queasy vocals.
• Dark Planet is best-suited for cinematic scores and musical excursions, comprising creepy sounds, shattering loops and eerie instruments.
• VST 3, VST 2 and AU host compatibility.
• Cross-platform 32/64-bit for Windows and Mac OS X Intel.
• Steinberg USB-eLicenser included.
Audio tracks – Import WAV/MP3/AAC/AudioPaste & iPod library.
Wave editor – Cut, trim, normalize, reverse, fade in/out
Multi-tracking – Up to 8 track simultaneous recording
FL Studio Mobile HD – Now a Universal App
iPad retina display – Supported
Dropbox – Export to Dropbox. Import from Dropbox App.
Library – Amped Guitar & Bass pack in the shop
ZIP – Export improved to include all custom instruments, audio recordings and the project
NOTE: To load an FL Mobile 2 projects in FL Studio for Windows you will need FL Studio 10.8 or higher. In addition to use the Amped expansion you will need to delete the existing FL Mobile Samples folder, from the Shared Data folder (C:\Program Files\Image-Line\Shared\Data\FL Mobile Samples) then re-download it from the content library.
Where’s ANDROID will it EVER happen?! Yes. see here…
Mode Machines App is used as a MIDI controller with virtual instruments.
D16 Group has announced the availability of LuSH-101 (formerly known as SHIOITOR), the long awaited authentic sounding virtual synthesizer for Windows and Mac.
LuSH-101 is a synthesizer created from modules that can be found in many modern virtual synthesizers, all combined into a single compact and logically intuitive design. This basic simplicity combined with its multilayer architecture turns it into an easy-to-use but extremely powerful instrument that can be programmed and tweaked quickly.
The multilayer architecture guarantees that both the sound design possibilities and number of unique situations in which LuSH-101 can be used are virtually limitless. Any combination of keyboard splits, layers, and multitimbrality is possible with just a single instance of LuSH-101. Each layer working as an independent synthesizer with its own polyphony, parameters, enhanced arpeggiator, and a palette of eight insert effects.
LuSH-101 comes complete with a powerful built in mixer, complete with layer-independent parametric equalizers, compressors and three send effects: reverb, delay and chorus.
Innovative oscillator algorithms developed by D16 Group make LuSH-101 sound exactly like a sampled hardware analog synth. Filters with constant resonance across the entire frequency domain has natural warmth and character.
A generous factory library contains more than 1600 presets of every type, while intuitively designed preset browser keeps everything organized and easy to locate.
LuSH-101 for Windows and Mac (32 & 64bit VST/AU) is available to purchase for 149 EUR/$199 USD/£119 GBP incl. taxes (if applicable). LuSH-101 is now also included in the Total Bundle. Discounts are available to registered product owners from their User Area at the D16 Group website.