LinPlug has announced the release of Relectro, an effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
The relectro is some kind of effect not yet existing, its dedicated to transform drum loops into something sounding substantially different, electronic, strange … suitable for almost any kind of electronic music
- Main processing section with effects similar to
- - Compressor / expander alike section
- - Cut-filter with infinite edge steepeness
- - Comprehensive pitch sections for
- relative pitch changing of the input
- pitch fixing of the input
- (inverted) pitch following of the input signal
- - Variable wave repeat
- - Variable waveform replacement
- - EQ-alike section with 2 bands
- Main modulation section with
- - Two conventional LFO
- - Two modulation step sequencer
- - Modulation matrix with pitch- and volume-follow
- Output section with HP and LP filters and chorus.
- Two wheels for dry/wet blending and morphing.
- MIDI program change supported.
- MIDI learn. Settings can be saved / restored.
The LinPlug relectro for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS) is avaialble to purchase for $79 USD / 59 EUR.
The hang uses the principles of steel drums to create a melodic and rhythmic instrument. From recordings of the Hang, Subaqueous has put together an Ableton Live pack as well as some great one hit samples. Below is a live set for Ableton Live 8.2 that includes the 3 instruments I have created. There are two basic instruments that are the Hang — One is “light” the other is “hard” hits. The other instrument is called Western Hang. It takes the limited hang notes and turns them into a complete western scale.
“The hang is an absolutely beautiful instrument that uses the principles of steel drums to create a melodic and rhythmic instrument. From recordings of the Hang I have put together an ableton live pack as well as some great one hit samples.
Below is a live set for Ableton Live 8.2 that includes the 3 instruments I have created. There are two basic instruments that are the Hang. One is “light” the other is “hard” hits.
The other instrument is called Western Hang. It takes the limited hang notes and turns them into a complete western scale.
I also have effects for the Hang in each instrument. You will have to download Supaphasor to have the full effect rack.
Below is the files for the Live Pack. If you just want the samples then in the folder you will see another folder names Hang Wave Samples where they are at.
This is given as a free resource, but please take a moment support the process by either joining our email list, or making a small donation, price of a beer or coffee, to help me continue bringing such rad tools and instruments. Thanks and enjoy the beautiful Hang Drum.”
In this lesson we get into how to work with the drum sequencers, as well as playing around with different patterns in technoBox2.
About the application:
technoBox2 is the next version of our hugely popular technoBox adding many asked for features such as dual 303s and drum machines, export recordings of songs and SoundCloud integration. A performance page has been added which allows access to the most commonly used controls on one page. The drum machines now allow you to load your own samples (via iTunes documents). technoBox2 runs on iPad and retina displays with crisp native resolution.
Dual 303s and drum machines
Improved song sequencing with Start/End and Loop markers
Lock parameters to sequence bar
Export recorded songs (as .wav) via iTunes
Upload recorded song to SoundCloud directly and share
Load your own .wav and .aif samples (uncompressed 44.1kHz 16-bit) into the drum machines (via iTunes)
Performance screen with the most accessed controls on one page
Completely redesigned FX panel: You can now activate effects on any or all of the 4 machines
Improved tempo synced phaser and distortion effects
Global filter cutoff and per part decay added to the drum machines
iPad and retina display native resolution support
Bluezone Corporation has released Overflow: Hard Dance Drums, a sample library featuring a selection of drum one-shots including massive kick drums, synthesized percussion sounds and synthetic noises in WAV format.
This wonderful sample pack contains 92 WAV Hard Dance drum samples ready to be uploaded in your favourite DAW as Cubase, Logic, Ableton or FL Studio and more.
With professionally made fat, punchy and powerful bass drums, ‘Overflow: Hard Dance Drums’ also include a selection of fresh electronic percussion sounds to deliver to you usable modern tools of the best quality to make your future Hard Dance music production intense.
Created by the Bluezone Corporation sound engineers, this original and futuristic drum hits collection is 100 % Royalty-Free. You can use this pack in your commercial releases without having to pay any extra.
Overflow: Hard Dance Drums is available to purchase for €6.95 EUR.
Synapse Audio has introduced EKS Pro, a VST/Audio Unit plugin for Mac & Windows, designed for creating electronic kickdrum sounds.
The plugin offers six high-quality sound models, a mix of vintage hardware emulations, and new, modern kick drum sound models. Despite their fundamentally different nature, all models respond to the sound parameters in largely the same way.
The user interface is organized into four sections controlling the pitch, the amplitude and pitch envelopes and its curvature, the attack stage and finally pitch modulation. This layout makes it simple and straightforward to program your own patches or modify existing ones.
EKS Pro for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available now for US $39. A free demo is available.
Forge Audio Designs has released a free drum replacement tool for Windows, BEAT to MIDI:
BEAT to MIDI will be the first VST release from Forge Audio Designs. BEAT to MIDI is a fast acting, low overhead Beat Detection and Drum Replacement tool which producers and musicians can implement to extract MIDI data from Drum loops.
BEAT to MIDI allows for the correction of poorly captured or performed drum recordings after the recording session has taken place
BEAT to MIDI uses sophisticated algorithms to identify each drum hit (or transient) in the time domain. Once this point is detected, MIDI data can be used to trigger replacement drum samples to alleviate poor quality recordings and/or timing errors
- Detection of drum strikes and output of detections to a (defined) single MIDI note
- Supervised Pattern Matching system to identify drum instruments
- Detection of drum strikes and drum instruments with output of detections to appropriate (General MIDI defined) MIDI notes
- Automatic ratio settings to allow easy settings of thresholds
- BEAT to MIDI is a PC Only VST 2.4 Plug-in and must be used in a compatible VST Host.
- BEAT to MIDI has been tested within Cubase 5/6 under Windows 7 but Forge Audio Designs cannot ensure full compatibility with other hosts and Operating Systems at this time.
Rupert Brown from The DSP Project discusses with freelance sound engineer Mike Hiller about drum processing in Pro Tools:
Mike Hillier is THE Pro Tools guy for MusicTech magazine so I was thrilled when he agreed to show us how he approaches mixing down a real drum kit. While he is using Pro Tools most of the mixing techniques can be used in any DAW.
thedspproject.com/drum-processing-in-pro-tools-pt1 for comments and more info on Mike.
Architecturally speaking, Surge is a rather complex synthesizer. But because of how it’s put together it’s still easy to learn. Surge is an instrument capable of generating truly beautiful sequences of numbers. Synthesizing a kick drum with Surge VSTi, using the FM2 module. The principles are applicable to any decent synthesizer. The Kick is basically a sine wave pith through a short, steep pitch envelope. Some frequency modulation (FM) is added to emphasise the attack. An LFO is applied to pitch to give a little wobble. Using these parameters it’s possible to get a wide variety of tight, punchy electronic kicks. Why waste time browsing samples? Make your own! Sampled using FL Studio’s Edison and dropped into Nerve.
- Synthesis method: Subtractive hybrid
- Each patch contain two ‘scenes’ which are separate instances of the entire synthesis engine (except effects) that can be used for layering or split patches.
- Quick category-based patch-browser
- Future proof, comes as both a 32 & 64-bit VST plugin (Windows PC)
- Universal Binary for both VST and AU (Mac)
- 1010 patches
- 183 wavetables
- 3 oscillators/voice
- 8 versatile oscillator algorithms: Classic, Sine, Wavetable, Window, FM2, FM3, S/H Noise and Audio-input
- The classic oscillator is a morphable pulse/saw/dualsaw oscillator with a sub-oscillator and self-sync.
- The FM2/FM3 oscillators consists of a 1 carrier with 2/3 modulators and various options.
- Most algorithms (except FM2, FM3, Sine and Audio-input) offer up to 16-voice unison at the oscillator level.
- Oscillator FM/ringmodulation
- Most oscillator algorithms (except FM2/FM3) are strictly band-limited yet still cover the entire audible spectrum, delivering a clear punchy yet clean sound.
- Noise generator with variable spectrum.
- Two filter-units with arrangeable in 8 different configurations
- Feedback loop (number of variations inside the parenthesis)
- Available filter-algorithms: LP12 (3), LP24 (3), LP24L (1-4 poles), HP12 (3), HP24 (3), BP (4), Notch (2), Comb (4), S&H
- Filters can self-oscillate (with excitation) and respond amazingly fast to cutoff frequency changes.
- Waveshaper (5 shapes)
- 12 LFO-units available to each voice (6 are running on each voice and 6 are shared for the scene)
- DAHDSR envelope generators on every LFO-unit
- 7 deformable LFO-waveforms + 1 drawable/stepsequencer waveform
- LFO1 allows envelope retriggering when used as stepsequencer
- Extremely fast and flexible modulation routing. Almost every continuous parameter can be modulated.
- 8 effect units arranged as 2 inserts/scene, 2 sends and 2 master effects
- 10 top-quality algorithms: Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Phaser, EQ, Distortion, Conditioner (EQ, stereo-image control & limiter), Rotary speaker, Frequency shifter, Vocoder
TR-SONIQ is a collection of classic Roland drums processed with an Ensoniq DP/4. Apart from the 318 WAV files there are ten ready to use kits for Fxpansion Geist and Guru, Native Instruments Maschine and Akai MPC.
Once upon a time, there was an innovative American company called Ensoniq that quickly gained a reputation with affordable samplers such as EPS and ARS. Ensoniq was a bit like that kid you were sitting next to in school who did everything in his own way. Not clean and stylish as the Akais or as sophisticated as the Emus. But that was a long time ago and since then Ensoniq got bought up by Emu, and Emu got bought up by Creative – who unfortunately haven’t done much real caring for either brand.
While many producers (mainly hiphop producers) still treasure their ASRs for their coloring of sound – our favorite feature of the EPS and ASR samplers is without a doubt its effects. The Ensoniq DP/4 is a dedicated effect with four separate effect units you can set up as four individual sound processors, or create series of complex chains.
Ensoniq meets Roland TR909, TR808 and TR606
TR-SONIQ is the result of combining the classic sounds from the well-known Roland drum machines TR909/808 (and also some from the underrated TR606) with the sonic capabilities of Ensoniq. It must be said that the Ensoniq effects were never subtle and with this collection of sounds we wanted to capture the spirit of Ensoniq. The dirt, the noise, the odd cut-offs, the distortion, the compression – the whole lot – all over the place.
A video showing how loud the pads are acoustically relative to other sounds. Or what would other people hear if they where in the same room and you were wearing headphones. Also how the stick bounces or rebounds when hitting the pad.