DJ, Producer, engineer and Sample creator Dom Kane takes us on a tour of his studio.
In the studio with Carmen Rizzo
Carmen Rizzo is a two-time Grammy-nominated recording musician, producer and composer whose credits include Coldplay, Oakenfold, Alanis Morristte, Niyaz & Jem. We visited his beautiful LA studio to discover how he gets inspiration and why he chose to build his live rig almost exclusively around Focusrite and Novation gear.
ONYX Apps has launched its Spectrum Analyzer for iOS, a powerful real-time audio analysis app.
Designed with musicians and recording engineers in mind, it can also be used by anyone interested in the world of sound. Ideal for room tuning or speaker tuning, the app enables portable, precision audio measurement and visualization.
Spectrum Analyzer harnesses the computational and graphical power of its host device to provide precision, real-time readouts that are smooth and responsive. It has been designed from the ground up to take full advantage of the newest features and capabilities of iOS 6. It is a completely integrated app – there are no plug-ins or in-app purchases available or required.
Spectrum Analyzer features
- Octave Band Real Time Analyzer.
- FFT Plot (Fast Fourier Transform).
- Spectrograph module.
- Test Tone and White/Pink Noise Generator.
- Retina display and iPhone 5 ready.
Virsyn describes their new Harmony Voice app as a pitch shifter and harmonizer with professional features including automatic tuning correction.
Virsyn says that you can sing and Harmony voice will add up to four voices according to the chords you play with the piano keyboard or, alternatively, instead of playing the chords yourself you can let Harmony Voice play the chords automatically to enrich the sound of your voice in a musically pleasant way.
The voice character can be adjusted in a way that you can turn a female voice into a male voice and the other way round, while a realtime visual intonation-display gives you feedback of the tunes you sing.
- Four part realtime Harmonizer / Pitch corrector
- Different Harmonizer modes:
- Manual harmonization by playing chords with up to four notes while singing
- Automatic harmonization ( Kraehenbuehl )
- Play base note and Harmony Voice adds appropriate chords
- Directly play the tunes for up to four voices with the keyboard.
- Select key note and scale for harmonization and pitch correction.
- Harmonies can be in just ( Barbershop ) or tempered tuning.
- Mix your original voice with the harmonized parts.
- Change the voice character.
- Play background track from your iTunes library.
- Hi-end reverb effect for room simulation.
- Chorus and Delay effect.
- Use a CoreMIDI compatible Interface to control Harmony Voice with a MIDI Keyboard.
- Audio recorder with Metronome.
- Upload to SoundCloud and File Export.
- Audio pasteboard for exchange with other Apps
Pricing and Availability:
Multi-Band Waveshape Modelling Plug-In
Sinevibes has announced Circuit, its newest AudioUnit effect plug-in designed for multi-band waveshape modelling. Circuit splits the signal into three frequency bands, and passes each band through its own processing engine, which offers 12 different models – from sine-based transformers and foldback distortion, to circuit-bent filters, lo-fi and ring modulation. These models can be put in motion by an envelope follower, tempo-synchronized modulator or two-dimensional Lorenz chaos generator.
Sinevibes says that all of these features are wrapped into a fun and simple to use, yet stylish colour-coded interface, which features the company’s innovative new design language. Circuit is also based on a future-proof graphics engine that supports the Retina MacBook Pro and of course all forthcoming high-resolution Mac computers.
Pricing and Availability:
Circuit will be available in October 2012 as an AudioUnit plugin for OS X 10.5 or later (Intel 32/64 bit). It can be pre-ordered for just $19. Customers who purchase the Sinevibes’ Complete AudioUnit collection (and those who purchased it after 1st September 2012) will receive Circuit as a free bonus.
NUGEN Audio has launched ISL, an inter-sample True-Peak limiter that gives complete control over peak levels in audio signals from mono to 5.1. ISL diverges from traditional approaches to limiting by measuring inter-sample peaks and allowing the user to set the true-peak limit, rather than the traditional threshold at which limiting begins. By measuring and correcting for inter-sample levels, ISL protects against distortion that can be introduced when codecs such as mp3 and AAC are applied downstream. Like all NUGEN Audio tools, ISL is intuitive to use and lets audio professionals mix with their ears, leaving ISL to ensure compliance with loudness standards. Designed for the transparent limiting of relatively dynamic high-quality audio, ISL can also be used to hard-limit and reduce dynamic range where required.
Using the standardized true-peak algorithms of ITU-R B.S. 1770 and related standards, ISL is suitable for post-production and broadcast applications. Features include comprehensive dBTP metering, adjustable channel linking, support for audio formats from mono to 5.1, adjustable ballistics, color splits, and peak indicators.
“I recently finished a “Between the Ears” program for BBC Radio 3 using ISL, and I found it completely transparent. I deliberately tried pushing it hard and it just works, even with much more gain reduction than I would normally consider using in this context. The NUGEN Audio ISL True Peak Limiter is now my limiter of choice for all my broadcast work,” said independent post production engineer Mike Thornton.
ISL is part of NUGEN Audio’s new range of innovative and easy-to-use loudness correction tools, which includes VisLM and LM-Correct.
ISL is RTAS, Audiosuite, AU and VST-compatible and available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions for OS X and Windows at $249.
More information about ISL and other NUGEN Audio products is available at www.nugenaudio.com.
“This morning, Apple finished reviewing the first version of Audiobus, and it has been approved.
We’ve been working with a small group of third party developers that we already have a close connection with because we want to make sure that those apps can serve as examples for all the other developers (currently more than 400) for how to implement Audiobus.
Once our initial community of developers have finished the Audiobus integration, we’ll be all launching together and opening up the SDK to the public.”
So what is it?
Audiobus will allow the audio of one app to be process by another. You will be able to process your iOS synths with other synths and effects. Until now you could only run them in parallel and you could only sync or control them via virtual MIDI. Audiobus will fix this going forward.
Mildon Studios has released the Redmix and Bluemix plug-ins.
“Get your mix done in no time with these powerful mixing plugins. Get your tracks to sit with Bluemix and then move them around with Redmix. It’s simple and easy. Start mixing like a pro!”
Here’s the details:
Ready to mix your next inspiring song? Bluemix can help you iron-out individual tracks from powerful kicks to high-flying guitars to make them sound just right.
Bluemix combines smart EQ, automatic compression, and high-frequency excitation to give you a clean signal that sits better in the mix. Use it in tandem with Redmix to create space and to add just the right amount of moisture to your mix.
- Smart EQ: Trim, Tighten, Tame
- Auto Compressor: Push
- Gain Reduction Meter
- Exciters: Enhance, Define
Redmix puts your tracks on a virtual stage, allowing you to pan from left to right and front to back! It lets you create a lot of space just by moving things around, something that’s hard to achieve with a conventional panner.
Redmix makes effective use of Haas’ principles combined with spectral shaping and room reverb to create space. Use it in tandem with Bluemix for a better mix.
- 2-Dimensional Panning (L-R + F-B)
- Automatic Haas Effect
- Room Control
Pricing and Availability:
Further adventures in vocal processing using the TC Helicon Voiceworks and the iVoxel vocoder iPad app.
More on the TC Helicon VoiceWorks:
This popular harmony processor has been used by songwriters, performing musicians, and jingle and movie music creators to put their creative stamp on vocals. VoiceWorks has a full complement of vocal processing tools from microphone preamp to four voices of harmony generation, pitch correction, reverb and tap tempo delay, compression and EQ. There’s even a song mode that allows you to step through a pre-programmed series of steps with the optional Switch3 footswitch.
- A complete signal path from mic input to stereo output. All you add is a PA, (or DAW) and your voice.
- Capable of creating up to 5 part harmony or doubling with your voice
- Harmonies can be controlled by MIDI keyboard or by setting key and scale
- 100 user-programmable presets
- Reverb and delay can be used simultaneously and have extensive editing parameters
- Thicken effect adds lush detune-style chorusing to your lead vocal in addition to other effects
- Compressor, 3 band EQ and gate
- Editor program for Mac and PC available free via download
Jiggery-Pokery has announced the release of its Shelob Audio Bypass Splitter, “”Super-Spider” audio/CV routers Rack Extension for Propellerhead’s Reason.
Not your typical, common-or-garden Spider, “Shelob” is the first super-arachnid for Reason: a 4-in/20-out audio splitter. Each channel features one stereo in and five stereo outs: a pass-through, plus four independent splits. All outputs feature an off/on toggle switch and visual feedback of channel activity.
Shelob Audio Bypass Splitter features
- Three-mode fade-time adjustment—Instant, Linear fade (1-100ms), Analogue-modelled CF fade (100ms-20s).
- Stripe input mirroring—Auto-route an incoming signal to the next available channel/s.
- Four separate stereo audio splitter channels—Four input channels each with four alphabetically-named splitter sub-channels; All the sub-channels are independently switchable.
- Passthrough/Group On-Off switch—Use a channels Pass output jacks as an additional “dry” output, and the Pass switch to select between either the split signals or the dry signal. Leave the pass jacks unconnected and use the Pass switch itself to turn the whole channel on and off.
- Grouped splits—Use multiple “Shelob” channels to create groups of effects.
The Shelob Rack Extension is available from Propllerhead Software for 7.50 EUR.